Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,925   Online: 861

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, both, equally.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    since it's been asked, the black 'sky' in the iceflow shot is actually the bottom part of another iceberg behind it. the bottom half was covered with dirt/mud. placing that as black, allowed me to keep detail in the highlights in the flows in the foreground (although when printing on cibachrome, it requires a good contrast mask). Fuji 4x5 RDP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Jim,

I agree with Robert, I like the first image of the iceflow very much as well. I have not personally had the opportunity yet to see blue ice; but I have heard about and I have seen other photos.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Color photographs are made and will be made. However color is not given to photography just because noway to control it. Doing color photograhy always endup as: it comes what comes, out of control, and photog has only one choice, yes it is I want, nice. There are so many variables influencing colors that it is all just random.
    If anyone ever think this is not correct ask yourself how you can get (e.g.) alizarin crimson of specific value and chroma?
    So I think, not just landscape, but the whole photography revolve around B&W. If one wish colors there are other mediums beter addapted to such request.

Daniel OB
    www.Leica-R.com

Images
    That is funny Daniel. You are not serious are you. If you are I would suggest you read works by Joe Cornish, Jack Dykinga, Freeman Patterson and I am sure others here can name a few others.

Painting and photography are two different mediums.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I prefer to do landscape photography, and I do most of my owrk in Black and White. Here in Australia colour is so expensive. Over $10 for each sheet of film and then $20 to process it. Then scanning, then a print. Ouch.
    Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Been doing a bit of pondering on this lately because I have 3 backs for my Bronica 645, one for B&W slow, one for B&W fast and one for Velvia film - just realised the other day that my colour back had only 2 exposures over a 10 month period while I've been racing through the other film. I'm simply passionate about landscape and the way light plays across it - its just beguiling and I only seem to interpret it into the black and white tonal range when I look at it, so I guess I've caught mono-mania. I've noticed lately that the colour images at Galleries and Exhibtions seem to very lurid and unsubtle and wondered if it was to do with the fact that most of the curators are 40 and under and after a lifetime of visual exposure to the cartoon colours of TV, film and Games, they just don't have an emotional response to anything that isn't 'in your face"., when selecting work to hang. Never seem to see images with the depth and subtlety like those of Joe Cornish or Charlie Waite etc. Just a theory, but its interesting. Maybe when your're waaaay over 40 like I am you just drift into a creative Zen state and apply the KISS theory to just about everything.
    Wyno from the Big Island will probably understand when I say that I actually moved here just for the light, truly magical.
    Patricia

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You're right Patricia, the light is special in Tassie. I've only been there once (last year) but I want to see more, so I'm coming back. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. LOL.
    Mike

Images
    I am only able to shoot one type of film at a time. If I carry both BW and color I shoot only one. For me they take two different mind sets. I have found myself shooting more color lately and really enjoying it.

COlor is not as expensive here in the states as there so I can burn through the film and not feel guilty.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by patricia de roeck View Post
    I've noticed lately that the colour images at Galleries and Exhibtions seem to very lurid and unsubtle and wondered if it was to do with the fact that most of the curators are 40 and under and after a lifetime of visual exposure to the cartoon colours of TV, film and Games, they just don't have an emotional response to anything that isn't 'in your face"., when selecting work to hang.
    That's an interesting observation since a lot of NYC galleries have been showing large, larger, and largest color work in anything but hyper-color....washed out in fact. But, the notion that under 40ish curators are cartoon conditioned makes me wonder if those galleries are run by much older gallerists. Again, interesting.
    John Voss

My Blog

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin