Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,391   Online: 974

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Well essentially reading as a landscape photographer is "Yi Fu Tuan - A Sense of Place, or preferably if you can find it Topophilia". Although a geographer his writings are about how we use the space around us. All my own landscape work is about man's impact on the landscape and Tuan's books are very useful helping contextualise my photography.

Of course he writes heavily about the social landscape.

Ian
    A writer I've found helpful on social landscape (although perhaps in an oblique way) is Barry Lopez. There's a wonderful essay in 'About this life - journey's on the threshold of memory' about the relationship between place, and photographs.

Cheers,
    Gavin

Shooter
    35mm
    umm with the examples given, what would be the difference between street, urban landscape, and social landscape?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Murray View Post
    My latest photography assignment is to shoot a social landscape and present 10 photos to the teacher. I'm wondering what "social landscape" means to other photographers. Any thoughts?

I have no idea.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Landscape photographs that reflect social conditions. The landscapes that people inhabit have some effect on their society, and their society also affects the landscape. That relationship is what it's about, I think.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Landscape photographs that reflect social conditions. The landscapes that people inhabit have some effect on their society, and their society also affects the landscape. That relationship is what it's about, I think.
    In addition to some of the earlier suggestions, the above is a good place to start. This is a subject/genre that's been explored since the beginning of the medium. Check out the "New Topographics" photographers' works -- Robert Adams, Lewis Baltz, among others (Steidl recently published a new book about the original exhibition. Also, you'll want to look at the "Dusseldorf School" photographers who've studied under the Bechers -- Struth, Gursky, Fuchs, et al.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Siriusly Dorothea Lange's Migrant Mother
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dorothea Lange Migrant Mother.jpg  
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would think, if going with Lange, you'd pick something from her documenting the Japanese interment camps

"Residents of Japanese Ancestry awaiting the bus..." 1942

And ask yourself, what is the difference between social landscapes, the social landscape, social documentary, and social criticism.

Shooter
    35mm
    In the segregated community in which I live people in up at welfare/food shelf the same way that people desperately line up at Starbucks. It is interesting to see how the two groups of people interact in different spaces but end up behaving the same.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    http://www.edwardburtynsky.com/
    Check this guy's work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin