Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,198   Online: 1103

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    phc
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    This really is a question of "horses for courses" as my Dad would have said. It has to come down to individual compositions. If you're going for the 'hotel room art' look (thanks Mark!) - and many people do love that stuff - then I think people are out.

However, I like to see the balance between people and the country in my own pictures.

Morella, Spain. August 2003.

Belgrade, Serbia. February 2004.

I guess I'm cheating really, as these pictures end up not being pure landscapes. More accurately they're pictures of people in their environment.

Cheers, Paul.
    paulhardycarter.com <<< Pictures and blog.
    twitter <<< My twitter feed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I kinda like my landscapes without people, but that is just me. There are exceptions though.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post
    I prefer my landscapes unpeopled, and will even try to keep clear cuts, power lines
    Usually but there are exceptions: http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...3&ppuser=12229

I don't generally like people in them though.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sometimes they sneak in there...
    But not very often...People and obvious signs of human presence are sometimes included as a delibrate part of the image (silly me -- everything in my images is included on purpose). Except for the series of my boys in the environment, I have included "strangers" only once in a finished print...though I have included signs of human presence (roads, buildings, etc) more often.

left to right (all platinum/palladium)
    Three shadows, Luffenholtz Beach, 2 1/4"
    Three Boys, Yosemite NP, 8x10
    Three Boys, Three Snags, Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, 8x10
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shadows.jpg   YNPBoysLF1.jpg   Boys3SnagsLF.jpg  
    Last edited by Vaughn; 01-15-2009 at 10:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think people (or evidence of people, e.g. roads, buildings etc) can lend tremendous emotional power to landscapes, as well as providing important scale cues. Scale and perspective cues are extremely important in landscape photography, of course, unless one is going for complete abstraction.

The bottom line for me is that I want the viewer to experience a real connection to a landscape. Sometimes one has to find a way to let the viewer experience the scale, if only vicariously, through an actual participant in the scene. I think viewers have a tremendous capacity for sympathetic feelings when they see what others are experiencing, and that line of thinking usually motivates me when I try to include people and evidence of people.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    A person or people can show scale, size in a composition. A fisherman near a lake can work, as it "matches". I think it depends on the comp, and for some including people enhances, or distracts.
    Last edited by SilverGlow; 01-15-2009 at 09:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I generally prefer without, but as a number of others have suggested, a figure can provide a sense of scale or provide a point of connection for the viewer and occasionally I have done that. Of course at some hot tourist spots, you have trouble getting the masses of humanity out of the way anyhow!

DaveT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post
    I prefer my landscapes unpeopled, and will even try to keep clear cuts, power lines, or highways out of the frame too. Where I live is so sparsely populated, and the places where I usually photograph are so seldom trod, that in 30 years of photographing I can't remember one time when I had to wait for somebody to exit a composition. True wilderness is so close at hand that that's what my photographs are about, not how people have impacted it.

I do have a few with fishing boats off in the distance, but they are rare exceptions.

Murray
    Murray,

How about bears? They sort of look like people in fur coats when they are standing up.

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A human form ma help to give size to the landscape and with a good composition it won't isturb the image. Personally I appreciate pinhole landscape with some human shadow in it
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'll just add that I recently wrote a little mini-review here of Ragnar Axelsson's book and actually, that's a fine example of what people can do for a landscape photograph.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin