Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,797   Online: 883

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends on your pre-visualization.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't you think we tend to define "landscape" overly rigidly? A landscape is a landscape whether anyone is in it or not. If someone is in it maybe it is a landscape with a person in it. In fact, I'm going to walk through a landscape in a few minutes to get to my truck, and then I'm going to drive through a lot of landscape to get to my job.

We tend to see in very conventionalized ways. Whether we are aware of it or not, the "landscape" we are shooting just might be a match between what we see in front of us and a template formed through exposure to many landscape photographs done by others. It is very hard to break out of that box. Sometimes it helps, for me, to actually play with my likes and dislikes. Who knows, they just might change.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    It depends on your pre-visualization.
    Is that what we see before we open our eyes? Or perhaps more accurately, what we see (or think) before we start picturing it in our minds?

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I seem to remember seeing something about Wynn Bullock's Child in the Forest. When he was setting up the camera he recalled the advice of his camera club print judge to always include a person in the landscape. And so a great career was born.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sometimes the image would lose a lot without a person. Viz:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steens:Elliot.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think a person in a landscape is ok if they are situated correctly....ie...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails land6-gal.jpg  

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Or...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bruce1.jpg  
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Or...
    Gorgeous!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks...when photographing on dunes (Eureka Dunes in this case) with someone, one has to keep close together to make sure that one does not mess up a potential image with foot prints. We had come straight up this dune and while Bruce set up his 4x5, I walked along the dune (keeping to the backside in case we aimed our cameras back to this dune later) and took his photo while waiting to move on. It makes a nice 16x20 (4x5 neg). The above image is just a scan of a quick contact print.

We did end up on he top of the far dune...though the wind had come up by then -- and I got a great image with blowing sand near the top despite the wind.

Vaughn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    We did end up on he top of the far dune...though the wind had come up by then -- and I got a great image with blowing sand near the top despite the wind.

Vaughn
    How many lenses have you sandblasted?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin