Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,775   Online: 884

Shooter
    4x5 Format

135mm lens. Large format 4 x 5

Hello. I am doing a river trip very soon and I would like some advice as to what would be a good lens to use with my Sinar P 4 x 5 camera. I have 135 mm and 210mm lenses.
    Do you think the 135mm lens would be a good lens to use?
    I don't want the images to look too wide angle.....I want more of a std. lens look.

I am told that the 135mm lens would be good to use...however, I would like a second opinion.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Paul,
    You can be quite effective in the landscape with the 135mm and 210mm lens. Most of my images are made with a 110 and a 210.

John Clark
    www.johndclark.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    135 and 210mm is a good two-lens set up.

Have fun on the river.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Paul,

Try some snaps around your neighborhood just to see for your self. You are the only person that can answer this question. Each person has a different feel for what is right. That is why there are so many choices. I bought a camera and kit that had a 90 and a 210. Eventually I had a 90, 135, 180, 210, 300, 450 and was wondering if I should try a 65-75 when I discovered 8x10 and started over again.

John Powers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks John
    I look forward to using 8x10 in the future. In the meantime the 4 x 5 will suffice.
    I like to enlarge my photographs up to around the 1 meter size...and 8 x 10 will give me the quality I like. Thanks again.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Can anyone recommend a good polaroid film to use with the 4 x 5 format? One with negative and image. I have a polaroid back.
    I have been told that some polaroid film is very fine and I am thinking that they would be a good reference and backup.
    What size(without too much grain) could a polaroid negative be enlarged to?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I enjoyed looking at your photographs. The 2 lenses I have should be fine. The response on APUG has been very helpful.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Johns View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good polaroid film to use with the 4 x 5 format? One with negative and image. I have a polaroid back.
    I have been told that some polaroid film is very fine and I am thinking that they would be a good reference and backup.
    What size(without too much grain) could a polaroid negative be enlarged to?
    All the Polaroid negative films are gone. You are almost a year too late.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    ....... when I discovered 8x10 and started over again.

John Powers[/QUOTE]

I would like to purchase an 8 x 10 back also.
    Can I use my 210 and 135mm lenses with the 8 x 10 back?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Johns View Post
    I would like to purchase an 8 x 10 back also.
    Can I use my 210 and 135mm lenses with the 8 x 10 back?
    It depends on the 210mm lens. There are a couple threads as to which 210 lenses cover. I use a Schneider APO Symmar (not the newer L type) and it covers, but barely. The newer L series will work and the Rodenstock APO Sironar S will work. Older Schneider Angulon and Super Angulons, and the newer Super Symmar XL will. Some people say G-Clarons will, but I don't know. If you have any of the type I listed you will be fine. Otherwise I couldn't say.

The 135mm lens will not cover. I do not know of any 135mm lens that will. If you want an extreme wide angle like that, I have heard, though not tried, a Schneider 120mm f/8 Super Angulon and a 120mm f/8 Nikkor-SW will barely cover 8x10. Do some research using the search function and you will get more complete answers.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin