Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,873   Posts: 1,583,554   Online: 902

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Since I do single transfer carbon prints, my images are always flipped -- but then generally I compose them to be flipped. Easy to do since I see the image already flipped on the ground glass. I have only one 4x5 that I have actually flipped printing silver gelatin...for reasons of compostion.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I thought the proper term was "flopped"?
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never, because of the nature of my work accuracy is important so flipping an image isn't an option.

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Ian...that is why I rarely make carbon prints of famous icons (Half Dome, etc). But for 99% of my work I am documenting my response to the light, so reversing the image does not matter at all. If one is documenting a place (or one's response to a place), then I can see how reversing the image is not an option.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vaughn, is it not possible to reverse the negative when making Carbon prints ?

I guess if you make intermediary/enlarged Digital negative, as I believe Sandy King does then there's no flipping issue

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 05-30-2009 at 12:32 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: atrocious spelling

Shooter
    Medium Format
    An old portrait photographers trick was to present clients with proofs that were flipped as that is the way we see ourselves in the mirror.
    It is said that we remember the important things, if true, why photograph? I forget, so I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Do you ever deliberately flip a print from the way it appeared in real life, because you thought it looked better? Do you think this is ok to do?
    Yes, and yes. Viewers rarely know (or care) about reality... and if they do comment it is easy to explain that that the intent of the image is art rather than documentation (unless the intent really is documentation, in which case a flip would be a bad idea).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    I thought the proper term was "flopped"?
    "Flip" is what one does in the darkroom (or on the computer); "Flopped" is the description of the resulting image. "Flipped" is an acknowleged American alternative spelling. See the dictionary entry for "Lens versus Lense" for further information.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Flipping & flopping go hand in hand, alternately, but how can you describe American spelling, err PLEASE it doesn't exist, it is just lazy English. After all Kodak say Colour Well outside the US anyway, colour prints last, but the cheap nasty miss a bit out color prints fade from memory

Probably the ONLY American who can spell or use English properly is Loudon Wainright III, and his kids But then they can sing as well
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 05-30-2009 at 01:51 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Vaughn, is it not possible to reverse the negative when making Carbon prints ?

I guess if you make intermediary/enlarged Digital negative, as I believe Sandy King does then there's no flipping issue

Ian
    A true point UV light source and a vacuum frame might be able to produce as sharp of a print with the negative flopped (or flipped) as one printed emulsion to emulsion. But I have neither a true point UV light source or vacuum frame.

My desire for very sharp prints does not allow me to flip the neg over. In fact, I won't even use a set of BL bulbs to expose carbon prints with because of the loss of sharpness that results from such a diffuse light source.

The reason for this is that the emulsion of the carbon tissue is many times thicker than the emulsion of silver gelatin paper. Diffuse light has the opportunity to spread out within the emulsion and softening the image.

Enlarging negs with film of digitally does give one the opportunity to flip the image before making the carbon print.

I think my prints look (or feel) sharper than the negatives -- due to the additional apparent sharpness gained by the edge effects of having raised relief.

Vaughn

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin