Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,678   Online: 785

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Do you ever flip a print?

Do you ever deliberately flip a print from the way it appeared in real life, because you thought it looked better? Do you think this is ok to do?

I read about a guy shooting in-camera Illfochromes and they always came out flipped, and he rarely did anything about it unless there was a giveaway in the image, because it really looks fine, to those who were not present at the original scene.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Do you ever deliberately flip a print from the way it appeared in real life, because you thought it looked better? Do you think this is ok to do?

I read about a guy shooting in-camera Illfochromes and they always came out flipped, and he rarely did anything about it unless there was a giveaway in the image, because it really looks fine, to those who were not present at the original scene.
    Yep. I do it if it helps the image meet my artistic objectives. I stress to anyone who will listen that my images are not documentary -- they are art. They aren't intended to replicate the scene in anyway. That includes flipping. Artist's prerogative.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A few times I have composed a scene on ground glass and then preferred to print it flipped... probably because it fit my memory better.

I have noticed that quite a few scenes look equally good to me when printed either way, while some seem to be strongly 'polarized' - tending to look much better one way than the other.

Anyway, sure, I think it's okay to do as long as it doesn't fundamentally misrepresent something e.g architecture and such. It'd certainly not be appropriate in photojournalism.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Photo editors for publications have been doing it since pictures could be flipped. It usually involved flipping a persons picture so it would face into the page for aesthetic balance.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not on purpose, but about 15 years ago I reverse-printed a few dozen Agfa Super Pan Press negs from the thirties & forties. I guess I had enjoyed a bit too much "Tonal enhancer" and thought that the "SSERPNAPREPUSAFGA," as it appeared on the print, must be wrong. So I flipped the negative, and all that followed.

It wasn't until the next day that I noticed the Richfield Betholine sign, as well as all of the signs and license plates, in all of my prints, were backwards.

I think I read a thread recently highlighting the comical mistakes we all make in the darkroom. This is my contribution to that list.
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 05-29-2009 at 09:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    all the time
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Only if I like the outcome better.

Randy

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I guess it all depends on the subject and photographer. I'm against "flipping" in my personal work and would never do it. Now if other photographers do, that's fine, doesn't bother me. It's just one of those things I guess, like do you print full frame or crop?

I flip images sometimes. Here is one...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 00010.jpg  

...and another...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 00013.jpg  

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin