Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,683   Posts: 1,548,542   Online: 997

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Great book on landscape photography

Went to my local library and snooped around the photography section the other day. As I have a library of about 60 photography books at home, I wasn't expecting to find much. I was wrong. Picked up "Landscape", by the Library of World Photography. It's just excellent, presenting a collection of great landscape photography from the early 1800s to present. I had seen most of the 20th century photos already, but my mind was blown wide open by the quality of earlier work presented in the book -- most of it being mid-1800s albumen prints. About halfway through the book I put it down, turned to my wife and said, "how can something make you so happy and simultaneously so very depressed?" I may not pick it up for a few days, lest I give up trying altogether.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for this post. That book sounds interesting. I would like to see what was done in the early days of landscape photography in contrast to what is done today.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just bought this book used on Ebay. My local library didn't have it listed when I did an online search. It will probably make a good reference source anyway. Thanks again for pointing this out.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Now go to a museum and look at the prints in person. The book reproductions are good, but once you see albumen and silver side by side--well, let's just say it started a long slide into 19th century processes for my work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I received the book last night, finally. This is a really good book! I will have to agree with 36cm2 (OP) that the quality imagery produced in the 1800s was quite spectacular.

Allen- I have been to some galleries and saw prints of Dorothea Lange, Imogen, Ansel Adams, Minor White, and others. Great experiences for sure, but it's still nice to have this book to browse through for reference and inspiration on the go.

In fact my photo mentor (photography professor) was a student of Minor White.

Shooter
    Large Format
    how about "John Shaw's Landscape Photography" book?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posted wirelessly..

Great book as well; one of the first I ever purchased. I'd say "Landscape" offers a much broader and historically varied set of photos. I think we're very lucky to have such a great range of books on landscape work.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You spark my interest. I'm going to look it up at my local library.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mywork08 View Post
    yup I have this one too. Another good one. As well as Jack Dykinga's.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mywork08 View Post
    Great book. One my early "bibles" I see refer back to from time to time. John is a heck of a nice guy too. I attended a multi-day seminar/workshop with him and George Lepp back in 2002. He needed a ride from a shooting location to his motel and back because he forgot something one of the days. I offered and got some short but great one-one time with him!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin