Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,007   Posts: 1,524,569   Online: 1006

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mom's Photo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks! I really appreciate it!

Mom does prefer color photos. She keeps asking my why I use black and white and I keep telling her that I can't do color in my darkroom... yet...

I thought about toning but maybe you are right. Hand tint would be better.

This is just a complete "spitball" idea...
    What if I got Mom a hand tinting kit and printed her off about a half dozen copies of the photo?
    After all it is her photo. Why not let the original artist finish it the way she sees fit?
    What's a color kit cost? $30-$40? Once the photo is made, it's a lot like "paint by numbers." Isn't it? (Okay... a simplified way to put it but the concept is the same.)

Who knows? Maybe we could form a team?
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks great to me! Tell her to keep up the good work.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hope you are going to forward this thread to her

she did a great job ... tint would look really nice!
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Nice pic! Methinks it would translate beautifully to gum-dichromate; it's already got that 'antique' look - gum printing would be the finishing touch
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I sent Mom a link to this thread. She's very happy to see that people like her photo.
    I made her a couple of prints last night. I'll take them to her next time I visit.

Thanks, everybody!
    Randy S.

-----

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Worker,

My humble opinion is that the image lacks "POP" which translates to contrast, and that translates to how you prepared the scanned image.

George

Shooter
    35mm
    I love it too. Especially B&W is great in this picture You should give her a nice camera for her birthday.
    Rein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ctscanner;

I agree with you. The film I used for this photo is very old. Well past expiration date. (I took other photos with better film that day. This is just the one that Mom took.) The film has a lot of base fog and lacks a lot of contrast. The image you see on-screen is AFTER I compensated during scanning and added contrast via Photoshop.

I would have preferred to have Mom's photo on fresher film but this is what came out. Even so, the photo has its own qualities.

Now that Mom has had a good experience with taking "good" photos, maybe I can get her to take more.
    Randy S.

-----

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    She has a good eye! What a nice mother's day gift!!
    I agree with Susanne. Multum in parvo, is it not. Was it Walt Whitman who wrote "the universe in a blade of grass?' This is her garden in fronds of wisteria? Perhaps she is not accustomed to the feeling she has done well.
    Your idea of printing and sepa-toning, methinks, is a good one."
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Frankly I suspect that it was not scanned as well as it might have been.

Anyway, we should probably never fight this battle of trying to convince someone what is a good photograph. If you like it then hang it on your wall! With relatives and friends, I just shuffle through some prints and watch the eyebrows and that's it. I learned this after years of trying to please people :rolleyes:

I do think it's wonderful that you are discussing this with her, and let's hope that her interest continues!

Incidentally I have some old digisnaps of wisteria that hang in a place of high honour at my parents' place. Those shots drive me nuts, they date from before I got [back] into film. But the parents love 'em, much more so than other shots I gave them which were much more successful. You can't argue, just go with it!
    Last edited by keithwms; 05-12-2010 at 01:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin