Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,504   Online: 683

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mom's Photo

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mom's Photo

My mom wanted me to shoot some photos of her flower garden on Mother's day, yesterday. I took some photos and it was near the end of a roll so I handed her the camera and let her shoot a couple.

I don't think my mom has EVER used a 35mm manual camera in her life. She's always had a point-n-shoot Instamatic. So I set the exposure, showed her where to turn the focus and said, "Press the button when you're ready."

Before you look at the photo, you should know that this film is some old, expired Tri-X Pan 400. It came inside one of the film loaders I just bought, second-hand, from eBay. It's at least 10 years old but, I thought, "What the hell? It's free film. I might as well shoot it."
    Processed in D-76 @ 8 min. Everything pretty much normal.

I scanned the photo and e-mailed it to her, this morning. She replied and told me she doesn't like it. I disagree with her. Although I don't think it's the "Great American Photograph," I think the image stands on its own.

Maybe it's beginner's luck but Mom still hates it, no matter what I say. I think she's too used to shooting that "everything in focus" flat kind of picture that she's always gotten from her Instamatic.

I like the "old fashioned" look and I think it's kind of "dreamy" looking.
    I think I'm going to print it and maybe sepia tone it to make it look "really old fashioned."

I just thought I'd post the photo and see what other people think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wisteria2.jpg  
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    She has a good eye! What a nice mother's day gift!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think it's good photo. She has a better eye than I did during my semester of Intro Photography class....and at least half of my second semester of photography classes

My mom likes having everything in focus, too. A lot of times when she's looking at my pictures, she's says "Why is everything back there fuzzy?" she's used to point and shoot digital cameras, and they seem to like to get everything in focus unless you set it in portrait or macro mode or something
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would hazard a guess that your mother was expecting (or would have preferred) that her colourful flowers be shown on colour film and in a colour picture .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Looks like a good candidate for some careful hand tinting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great. Love the older look to it.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hand tinting is a neat idea. I hadn't thought of it, but this does seem like an image where it would work well.

I really like the photo too. To my eye, sepia toning would be a bit much---you might just try printing it warm first. Or go full-on pictorialist and print it on a heavily textured surface?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    a great shot! Mom did well!
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love it It looks like a shot from the 30s or 40s. Or something you'd find in an old text book. Fabulous.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your mother knows it's good to be self critical

Have her keep it up and I'm sure she'll soon be happier with her work - also keep in mind that the more control she has over the whole process the more rewarding it becomes.

Best of luck carrying on!
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin