Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,502   Online: 837

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Contemporary Landscape photography?

As much as I love taking inspiration from traditional landscape photography and paintings, I want to start looking more at contemporary practitioners but finding great photography online can be like looking for a needle in a haystack at times, more so when it comes to landscapes as I'm not interested in the gifted amateur who goes to his nearest beach or hill top and takes sweeping shots and that's generally what one tends to find.

So can anyone recommend some good, contemporary artists?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the UK, Paul Hill, the late Fay Godwin and Raymond Moore, John Davies, Jem Southam, Thomas Joshua Cooper, early John Blakemore, that's just a start.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Although i like most of those, Jem Southam stands out. I looked at the others and I don't know if it's because they're in black and white but they just seem a little too traditional for me. Whereas Southam's work seems a bit more up to date.

So now i'm wondering is it colour which makes a landscape more contemporary or is it still all in the way it's shot?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I should also add i'm after photographers who's work has been made mostly in the past 20 years.

UK based Charlie Waite , Joe Cornish have websites, are still working, run courses.
    Charlie Waite has done one book of black and white.Colin Westgate runs courses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's also Paul Graham in colour and Fay Godwin shot colour in the last few years of her life - less than 10-15 years ago. Simon Norfolk shoots colour

B&W or Colour it's the way it's shot particularly with regard to what the photographer is trying to express and explore, UK and European contemporary photography often has political undertones, far more so than US photographers.

I could give you a much longer list but my books are mainly packed away in storage. Look at some of the German photographers who studied undere the Bechers.

Ian.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Why look at others? If you are looking to break from sweeping vistas and for that matter B&W why not go out with color and a long lens or perhaps macro and develop your own vision. It is not the easiest thing to do when you appreciate what others have done and that is in the back of your mind. A couple of names that come to mind with color are Eliot Porter and Ernst Haas (both not too contemporary) as well as Joel Meyerowitz. They have very large bodies of work that include a variety of treatments of the landscape.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    Instant Films
    Ed Burtynsky is amazing: http://www.edwardburtynsky.com/

also www.icehuts.ca (Richard Johnson)

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Gregory Crewdson is worth a look--staged, cinematic but still a landscape photographer.

http://www.artnet.com/awc/gregory-crewdson.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RywAfP4KFcY
    Last edited by CGW; 09-03-2011 at 03:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin