Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,078   Online: 870

Shooter
    Multi Format

How close does one have to get for a close-up

Came across a link to this one for close-up wildlife photographs ....

<http://m.koreus.com/video/wapiti-vs-photographe.html>

Ken
    Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The guy is lucky he did not get charged. Could have gotten quite a gore. Link not clickable for some reason so I'm posting here again:

http://m.koreus.com/video/wapiti-vs-photographe.html
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Never go in the wilderness without a gun.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Even in the midst of all that, dude couldn't resist the urge to chimp.
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Guns? Your kidding of course.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Actually I'm not kidding. Photography is the object, and a damn gun is a boat anchor. Except when a bear decides he wants you. Wild animals don't play. And what if you break your ankle? Who is going to help you if you can't make a big noise? Around central NC, you don't need any gun in the woods. But in the wilderness of Wyoming or such place, it's still 1850, not 2014, and wild animals mean business.
    But then, as a rule I don't go anywhere, civilized or uncivilized where I need a gun. My mind is not centered around guns.

Edit: You want to end up like Steve Irwin except with an elk's horn in you? That guy is darn lucky the elk didn't spook. And that's the last thing I'll say on this thread on guns. I turn it back over to more genteel conversation. Ansel Adams was a lucky man. He could have been killed by a bear or a snake at any time. I wouldn't have done what he did without one.
    Last edited by Tom1956; 04-06-2014 at 09:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A gun wouldn't have helped him at that range anyway. Even if he had it in his hand, by the time he realized he needed to raise it, he'd have an elk in his lap. I'm gonna go with "don't be a damn fool" as the better piece of advice.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    A gun wouldn't have helped him at that range anyway. Even if he had it in his hand, by the time he realized he needed to raise it, he'd have an elk in his lap. I'm gonna go with "don't be a damn fool" as the better piece of advice.

-NT
    Yeah. Really. I'm with you on that. The guy wasn't exactly photographing with his Werner von Braun hat on, in the first place. Wonder if he'd photograph a copperhead that way.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A couple of observations about wilderness for all you city slickers planning on coming out to the woods. (1) Even though the US population is increasing every year, the rural areas are actually de-populating with the happy side effect of restoring habitat for wildlife and populations are rebounding in most areas. The down side is that your chances of encountering a bear, mountain lion, or wolf on the trail in our national forests and/or wilderness areas are exponentially greater now than they were 20 years ago. (2) Millions of acres of our public lands are also infested with free range cattle driven in to high country pastures and left to fend for themselves all summer. These things are wild animals as well and perfectly capable of killing you should you be unfortunate or unobservant enough to get between a momma and her calf. I know it adds weight and every pound counts but its really foolish to be out in the back country without a large caliber hand gun, substantial knife and a heavy duty first aid kit.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin