Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,884   Posts: 1,629,753   Online: 716

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Photographing Ravens

Hi,

Recent thread about Hektor lens and duck/goose jokes reminded me that I wanted to ask one question for some time: and this is how and where can one find ravens in the city?
    All birds like pigeons, ducks, chickens and so on are not afraid of people and I can get really close to them. But ravens no. They are always too far, flying away quick, and I don't see them often.
    I find the ravens very photogenic, so any tips how to proceed?

From equipment I have nikkor 200mm f4 and Leitz 135mm Hektor, so I can not be very far away.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Crow decoys, and a crow call, or an owl call. Secret yourself in a tent or blind of some kind, so you cannot be seen from the sky.
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    I wanted to ask one question for some time: and this is how and where can one find ravens in the city?
    At the Tower of London (London England that is). They clip their wings so they can't fly away.

Legend says that the kingdom and the Tower will fall if the six resident ravens ever leave the fortress. It was Charles II, according to the stories, who first insisted that the ravens of the Tower should be protected.

Probably not much use to you but I thought I'd mention it anyway

Where I live they are quite common and you can usually hear their distinctive call before you see them but in a city there's probably too much noise for that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you're into Ravens, expect you will know The Solitude of Ravens by Masahisa Fukase. If not, wonderful series.
    http://invisiblephotographer.asia/20...asahisafukase/

Good piece on the work and the history behind it in the Guardian.
    http://www.theguardian.com/artanddes...vens-photobook

Sadly the book is out of print, highly collectable so rather too pricey to buy, even the reprints. As it is in the National Art Library in the V&A Museum in London, I usually have a good leaf through when I visit the library. By coincidence, and for Londoners, part of the work is currently on display also at the V&A in an excellent free exhibition in their upstairs Photograph Gallery.
    http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/galleri...raphs-gallery/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    PS.
    As I remember, the ravens in Northern Germany are quite striking in their grey and black colouring. They're all jet black in the UK.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Odlin's cove

Look up Odlin's cove by Beth Moon. Won't help you locate them in the city, but some very nice raven images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Crawford View Post
    If you're into Ravens, expect you will know The Solitude of Ravens by Masahisa Fukase. If not, wonderful series.
    Yes, I know this wonderful book. It is very expensive unfortunately. I have a book "Japanese photobooks in 1960's and 1970's" and there are also some pages from The Solitude of Ravens.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Best possible way is to feed a raven in your home , they live 70 may be 90 some say 120 years. There is a youtube video where a raven feeds the dog and cat of the home. Turkish kings have feeded few ravens in their court. My sisters have pictures of Ravens in New Mexico and Arizona. She loves them. Kremlin and Topkapi Place is famous about their raven fleets. In years , Soviets feeded hawks againts ravens and they reported in national geographic , no hawks could not hunt even a single raven in years. They are extremelly intelligent and when they see the hawk , they left the area altogether Ottoman Palace have the same story , they planted poison , no raven eat it , they put loudspeakers , no success , palace plants new plants everyday and ravens snap them at the evening. They take stones to their mouths and throw at the highhest point on to the lead rain plates and break them And if you touch their children , they attack you on the streets everyday for years. They never forgot you and follow and identify at the crowds.
    ,___,
    [O.o]
    /)__)
    -“–“-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Mustafa Umut Sarac;1953715330, they live 70 may be 90 some say 120 years. [/QUOTE]

Seriously? Where did you find this information?
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Seriously? Where did you find this information?
    http://genomics.senescence.info/spec...s=Corvus_corax

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin