Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,010   Posts: 1,524,614   Online: 1037

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What it takes

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikari View Post
    Not worth losing your health for. Not worth dying for. Extreme behavior may point to dedication, but does it point to intelligence? It certainly is a bad example.
    Amen to all that. Knowing too many folks with chronic health problems really makes you want to do all you can to avoid a "voluntary" situation that could have very long lasting implications... Still awesome shots, but at what price!?

Shooter
    35mm
    He may have had a nice rich high-level health insurrance plan, that paid for his months and months of recovery...

I'd personally have invested in a $200 dry suit rather than spend $200,000 in medical bills and 10 years off my lifespan.

The trick is to get the shot, oh yes... But not to DIE getting it. Solve the problem, don't power through it.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Being a dedicated photographer is a good thing, but there comes a point where you cross the line between dedication and stupidity.
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Oh my Gosh! This is really hard work to do and difficult to capture lions pictures in to the camera. Mr du Toit heads off to you and i just like your work spirit. Wildlife photography is most difficult so i really appreciate your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I lived in East Africa for several years and let me tell you this is extremely stupid. There are many reasons not to go into that water. When I first arrived, someone mentioned that the locals usually know if there is schistosomiasis in the water. I asked, "if there aren't people bathing then you shouldn't go in the water because there might be schistosomes?" and my friends all laughed.

No. You shouldn't go in the water because there are probably crocodiles. They are everywhere. Hippos don't take very kindly to swimmers either, and a hippopotamus is a huge and very dangerous animal. ( And they move from water hole to water hole at night... and can stay submerged for a long time... ) And BTW I saw a lion take prey out of a water hole. And elephants are known for chasing smaller animals out of the water hole before the whole herd arrives...

Shooter
    Large Format
    There are just some things that are not worth it. It's just not THAT important. You could have done the same thing with a video camera on a post in the water and photoshopping clips from the footage. Somehow I'm not particularly impressed.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Existing Light View Post
    Being a dedicated photographer is a good thing, but there comes a point where you cross the line between dedication and stupidity.
    Agree completely. And I personally don´t like the look of the animals being aware something is staring at them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin