Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,433   Online: 1025

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What it takes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What it takes

Found this on the PureSilver site:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl....html?ITO=1490

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is amazing!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is dedication, and never giving up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    God doesn't put great photographs where lazy people can find them!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After 43 years of working in and around forests, I saw my first big cat about a month ago in Guyana. I was driving slowly down a dirt track when a jaguar walked across the road about 30 meters in front of the vehicle. It made my hair stand on end - not from fear as I was safe in the vehicle, but just plain awe. In this guy's position I can only imagine how he must have felt. Rather than taking pictures, I think I would be having a religious conversion. The word courageous hardly seems adequate.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    St Ansel always said "Chance favors the prepared" I'd say thats prepared. I missed the shot of a lifetime some years back, a friend and I were driving across Log Hill Mesa in SW Colorado pre-dawn on our way to Telluride when a mule deer jumped onto the snow covered road in front of my Jeep. I hit the brakes to avoid the collision, and as we were sliding sideways a cougar that was chasing it leapt into the lighted area in front of us and we watched as the big cat took the deer just as it hit the ground as they were both landing from a leap over a barbed wire fence. Neither of us had a camera, we were on our way to a construction site.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    35mm
    Yep those mule deer can be true "suicide mission" creatures here in the Rockies. What an fantastic shot that would have been though - so sad that you missed it. I guess there's a moment like that for all photographers - the OMG! I can't believe I didn't have my camera with me!

Mr du Toit was one determined, brave, and if I may say so, ingenious shooter. What amazes me the most is to have EIGHT lions almost literally within reach staring at you, and still have MIRROR still water around him! I wouldn't have had still water, nor even ripples, I think I would have had surf worth waves!! And the whole worm moving around in his foot thing - ugggghhhh.... But what truly amazing shots, I guess in the long run it's worth it. At least he lived thru the ordeal!! Wish I had that kind of patience though.

Shooter
    35mm
    Great photos. But I'm not sure what his technique was. Did he stay in the water for months or go in each day for some hours? The link suggests either:

three hours per day for seven days a week in the water
    he sat semi-submerged for 270 hours
    submerging himself in watering hole for three months
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Crazy but ill prepared to get that sick for some pictures. There's getting the shot and there's getting the shot... there must be a suit he could have worn.

Side note: film or digital? The article didn't seem to say or I missed it.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not worth losing your health for. Not worth dying for. Extreme behavior may point to dedication, but does it point to intelligence? It certainly is a bad example. And for another image of lions feeding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin