Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,765   Posts: 1,484,077   Online: 963

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Wanted photos, drawings and designs of late 1800s photo studios

Looking for photos, drawings and designs of late 1800s photo studios. Jim Fry the owner of the Ohio Farm Museum, Richfield, OH USA has allowed several of us to prowl and photograph in the forty buildings that make up his farm equipment museum and village. In return he has asked that we give him an occasional print and help him with research to know what a late 1800s photo studio looked like. He wants to add one to the museum village that he has built by bringing old buildings from all over Ohio to his farm.

I gave him a two page exterior spread of an 1890 portrait studio and home belonging to Kinsey. The photographer best known to me for his work documenting the Pacific RR logging industry and especially the giant Shay engined logging trains with an 11x14 camera.

Jim said Kinsey used the same design as vintage green houses, glass panes in a vertical pattern with no cross wood pieces to rot, just overlapped glass. He knew this because Jim had just finished his own new-old green house. Please PM, post or snail mail any prints of early studios, interior and exterior and I will give them to him.

Thanks.

John Powers
    Last edited by jp80874; 06-03-2013 at 08:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Last edited by ic-racer; 06-04-2013 at 11:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is the tintype studio at Greenfield Village:
    Attachment 69695
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tintype+Studio+002.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	69696
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tintype+Studio+006.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	69697

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thank you Dale. Just what we were looking for. Do you have any idea about dates when these were built? The drawing in the first link looks painfully like it was stollen from a hangman's gallows.

John
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Large Format
    There is a studio in Ceskey Krumlov in the Czech Republic.
    Unfortunately the web site is not available in English
    but these pictures are the real deal, not a recreation.
    http://www.seidel.cz/docs/cz/seidel_vznik_vyznam.xml
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Do you have any idea about dates when these were built? The drawing in the first link looks painfully like it was stollen from a hangman's gallows.

John
    I used "daguerreotype" and "tintype" to search for those images. So, I'd place most of very roughly in the 1800s to very early 1900s.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    There is a studio in Ceskey Krumlov in the Czech Republic.
    Unfortunately the web site is not available in English
    but these pictures are the real deal, not a recreation.
    http://www.seidel.cz/docs/cz/seidel_vznik_vyznam.xml
    Can't read a word of it, but these are wonderful pictures. Thank you. Just what I was looking for.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I used "daguerreotype" and "tintype" to search for those images. So, I'd place most of very roughly in the 1800s to very early 1900s.
    Thanks Dale.

Shooter
    Large Format
    http://gfv1929.blogspot.com/2008/08/tintype-studio.html
    Info from Greenfield village site. Below are clips of the article at the link.
    Without a doubt, the last building Ford added before the October 21, 1929 grand opening of Greenfield Village was the replicated Tintype Studio. It was designed to look like a studio from the 1870's and 1880's.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Can't read a word of it, but these are wonderful pictures. Thank you. Just what I was looking for.

John
    The "Translate" function built into Google Chrome does a passable job translating the site.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin