Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,870   Online: 883

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    As you say, it may be a cultural thing, but, from an outside point of view the US has gone 'way over the top' in it's 'vigilance'. Personally I think it's because you are not used to being attacked on your home soil.
    We suffered over thirty years of terror attacks in Britain. We surcombatted it, without even half the restrictions now being enforced on you guys across the pond.
    I agree with Lee. You need to let us know what restriction you are talking about. I have photographed refineries, electrical plants, government buildings, and others.(since the 9/11 attack). No official has told me I can't. Some of the police that show up, although not often, are apologetic about someone calling in.

Could be Minnesota nice. I guess.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As you say, it may be a cultural thing, but, from an outside point of view the US has gone 'way over the top' in it's 'vigilance'. Personally I think it's because you are not used to being attacked on your home soil.
    We suffered over thirty years of terror attacks in Britain. We survived it, and combatted it, without even half the restrictions now being enforced on you guys across the pond.
    Andy, have you personally experienced any of this "way over the top" in the US or are you just parroting what you read from the web and see on TV?

I actually traveled to the UK during your country's troubles with the IRA. When I went to the airport (Heathrow) on my departure there was a tank - a goddamned TANK! - sitting on the roadway just inside the airport, menacingly facing the traffic.

While I was waiting for my flight, I was accosted by a plainclothes cop of some kind and interrogated about who I was, why I was there, where I was going, where I had been, etc., etc. He didn't throw me up against a wall or anything, but it was very clear that if I even thought about walking away that is what would happen next. This wasn't at a security checkpoint. I was just in the waiting area, minding my own business.

Now I was a normal looking businessman at the time. I was dressed well, and had nothing with me but my carry-on luggage.

You call that normal? That's never happened to me in the US.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For more information on Britain's own internal security branch, MI5, follow this link to their homepage:

http://www.trousers.co.uk/mi5/

Definitely worth reading for anyone living in or travelling to the UK...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chuck, until this year I was a regular visitor to the US. I've been to New York, Miami, Orlando etc on the usual tourist trek.
    This year I will not be visiting. I refuse to be fingerprinted like some kind of criminal at customs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck94022
    For more information on Britain's own internal security branch, MI5, follow this link to their homepage:

http://www.trousers.co.uk/mi5/

Definitely worth reading for anyone living in or travelling to the UK...
    I was going to reply with a sarcastic link to a CIA or FBI spoof, but there are too many to choose from...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I refuse to be fingerprinted like some kind of criminal at customs.
    Personally, I think that beats getting accosted by the police while minding my own business like they can do in the UK, but, hey, to each his own. Post some nice shots from where ever you decide to go!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was going to reply with a sarcastic link to a CIA or FBI spoof, but there are too many to choose from...
    Ya gotta admit that one's pretty funny...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I refuse to be fingerprinted like some kind of criminal at customs.
    Hmmm...why pass up a chance to give 'em the finger(s)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck94022
    Personally, I think that beats getting accosted by the police while minding my own business like they can do in the UK, but, hey, to each his own. Post some nice shots from where ever you decide to go!
    You're kidding right? In Miami I got accosted by a neanderthal in police uniform just for crossing the road! Another time I was stopped for not wearing a shirt, when it was 90 degrees. Another time for drinking beer from a can.
    Don't they have real criminals to hassle?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin