Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,642   Online: 961

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The building is part of the old garrison at Shoebury, it used to be married quarters. Because of it's resemblance to a Victorian Birdcage it was known as the 'Birdcage Quarters'. It was built around 1854 along with the rest of the garrison. The garrison was closed around 1984 and the Birdcage Quarters are now private flats.
    There are some wonderful old buildings around the garrison to photograph. Unfortunately those modern day legalised vandals, property developers, have recently bought the garrison from the MOD. They are now busy 'enhancing the living experience' by building hundreds of new homes and 'business developments' (in other words bloody ugly factory buildings) on any open space left in the garrison, including the old Gunners Park, which was ancient meadow and marsh. The area has been completely ruined (IMO).
    Property developers should all be taken out and shot.

Here are a few quick neg scans of the garrison (please excuse the poor contrast quality, I'm crap at image manipulation!):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...relicts/s4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...a100/test3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...100/test19.jpg

...and most disgusting of all, the developers have turned the beautiful old garrison Church into a marketing suite (complete with fibreglass cannon):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...a100/test8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...%20Sods/g1.jpg
    Last edited by Andy K; 10-19-2005 at 06:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I noticed the shop with the banner over the porch advertising something for 6 pounds +... I haven't a clue as to what it is... We truly are separated by a common language...

denny - USA

Images

Not all bad

Andy, that looks a great place to shoot, if its going to be developed expect a fence and security in situ pretty soon. Not all developers are bad some do have taste. The shot attatched is of a barracks used by the black and tans in eire in the 1920s. As you can see it has made a fine house without losing too much of its character.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a) black & tans.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k8do
    I noticed the shop with the banner over the porch advertising something for 6 pounds +... I haven't a clue as to what it is... We truly are separated by a common language...

denny - USA
    That shop is a pub, the banner is advertising the Carvery for £6.25. A carvery is like a serve yourself meat buffet. £6.25 for a meal which is the size of your choosing is pretty good!

Bogeyes, the development is now two and a half years in, they truly have ruined the place!

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Property developers should all be taken out and shot.
    Man, Andy - you sound like us folks here in Florida. I should go out at night and photograph the few remaining beach houses here - they're being torn down and replaced by condos, and the city can't understand why residents are complaining about the traffic problem.
    juan

Shooter
    Large Format
    I recently drove down to Amelia Island, Fl. I saw several beautiful views of the surrounding waterways.. until I noticed the Paper Factory. Yes, a paper factory. I mean, this was a picture perfect landscape completely ruined by a smog-churning paper factory. Sigh..

Shooter
    35mm RF

Developing night shots (Very high contrast situations)

Look for a excellent article in the Magazine "Photo Techniques" in approximately 1994-1996 time frame. From that article; which has hidden itself somewhere around my darkroom, I started developing TMax 100 in TMax developer at a dilution of 1:9 (1:4 in normal dilution) at 75F for 9 minutes.

I recall this article discussing a lot of divided developer combinations, etc. but the main emphasis was that a very weak developer will exhaust itself at dense areas of the negative very fast and therefore will not build excessive density. Therefore, along with this method is a warning to not overly agitate - I agitate for 5 seconds every minute. This technique has worked on 120 Tri-X roll film as well. Can hold details in deep shadows and texture of stone light by flood lights at the same time!

Only thing left to work on is the exposure time - I'm going about 1 minute at F/8 with 100 ASA film in areas such as well lit walks, etc.

Good Luck.

Larry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Fuji Acros is the best film for night photography I have tried, +1/2 stop on any exposure over 120secs.

Acros with a pyrocat is a good combo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin