Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,663   Online: 1140

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can come up with an efficient (cheap) way to produce quality images real estate agents will buy them. I have a friend who did this. He had a menu list of x exteriors, interiors and QTVR's that where very quick and easy for him to produce (30-60mins per site plus drive time) and were far better than the quality of the stuff most real estate agents produced on their own. The problem for traditional photog's is that he charged ~100.00 per house whereas most Archetectural photogs would require a min of a 1/2 day (600.0 0and up).

I got my largest Architectural client because of the crap that is produced. They had gone through a couple 'photographers' who were cheap and fast and equally as bad. I am happy that there are boneheads out there it makes my meager offerings look so much better.

The way I see it the buyer decides. A real estate agent wants something cheap and fast, an Architect or Designer wants something attractive and will pay what they can the former will understand perspective control and lighting the latter may not, a contractor wants something that is serviceable and as often as not wants it cheap, and photo editors may only want something to fill the hole that represents the subject, is not out of focus and is reasonably professional looking -- they are not looking for art.
    Last edited by jd callow; 04-17-2009 at 02:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    ...I understand that the WSJ has gone down hill since News corp took it over....
    Are you a regular reader, or perhaps a subscriber? I have been the former for a long time, the latter for a decade. "I understand that..." conveys that you are neither. If you were, then you'd know that News Corp's purchase of the WSJ was not the apocalyptic victory for the VRWC* portrayed by outlets on the short-wavelength end of the ideological spectrum. The paper remains a staunch proponent of the unarguable virtues of freer trade and markets, smaller government, and individual liberty.

That aside, simple economics explains the crappy quality of residential real-estate photos. There's no perceived value in excellent images, as houses have sold without them just fine (present situation noted). Why pay extra for Julius Shulman when Digicam Realtor can get the job done for free?

*Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    WSJ has great reporters/journalists so good that you can almost always find a news article that contradicts the never ending stream of rightwing nut case editorials. FWIW if the Journal was a proponent of anything in its news coverage (for example Fox News or the NY Post) it wouldn't be a newspaper, but something else altogether.

It is in my mind one of the three great US newspapers the others being the Washington Post and the NYT.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSeb View Post
    Are you a regular reader, or perhaps a subscriber? I have been the former for a long time, the latter for a decade. "I understand that..." conveys that you are neither. If you were, then you'd know that News Corp's purchase of the WSJ was not the apocalyptic victory for the VRWC* portrayed by outlets on the short-wavelength end of the ideological spectrum. The paper remains a staunch proponent of the unarguable virtues of freer trade and markets, smaller government, and individual liberty.

*Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
    Mike, I am sorry you took offense to my opionion of the "new" WSJ.
    For the record, the WSJ is delivered to my house every morning and has been for the past year year or so. Yes, I am a subscriber. Prior to becoming a subscriber, I used to pick it up at a news stand about two or three times a week. I regularily read the first section pretty thoroughly and skim the others.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jd callow View Post
    It is in my mind one of the three great US newspapers the others being the Washington Post and the NYT.

In my opinion, it used to be...but no longer is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know a guy who does real estate photography as a company employee. They give him a Canon 350D & he goes to a house & blasts away & then uploads the files to the company where their digital employees do the finishing touches. They correct any convergence, stitch images together etc. The photographer is just one cog in the machine, something I'm still coming to terms with. I think most of us are accustomed to think of the photographer as the sole author of their production but that is less and less the case these days. So yes, real estate, architectural & other genres of commercial photography may be looking worse but it's not a simple case of being able to pin it on the photographer anymore. It's the system, man.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The guy you know does essentially what my friend does on his own. He uses a QTVR head for 360 pano's and low end DSLR with attention to colour temp/white balance and PS and QTVR (or similar) for finishing. His work falls well shy of LF view camera, but it is intended for use on the internet or postage stamp reproduction and it is head and shoulders better than the p/s work that is the standard. His work is very formulaic which allows him to produce quantity with reasonably good quantity. I haven't talked to him in four years and he works in Metro Detroit so I wonder how he is doing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Back in the '70s I made some fairly good money photoing homes for real estate brokers--Now days, they take one of those new fangled POS things that somehow make images in their computer, and leave us out in the cold. We should all lobey our congress men to pass a law to only be able to post pix shot by a competent FILM photographer, and putting them in jail, and a fine for owning a d@#@#$% whatever those things are!
    Rick

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But it is not only real estate photography. I see worse images at the annual national buildings heritage days in the brochures that list all the buildings on show at theses days.
    I find it hard to believe that historians can be so negligent.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    On the subject of that article, the image conveys the idea of a messy, unfinished real estate project / deal pretty well.

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/im...0416214301.jpg
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin