Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,842   Online: 899

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

the Pathetic state of everyday architecture photography

I have come to accept as a given that real estate agents selling ordinary, single family homes have absolutely no regard for photography. I don't remember the last time I saw real estate photo that did not look like a complete hack job (save those fancy, multimillion dollar homes on the other side of the tracks...). I'm pretty sure that most middle of the road real estate agents just go out to the site and photograph the home for sale themselves. It is so pervasive that I just tune it out.

But, then today, I was looking through the Walll Street Journal and right there on Page A-10, is one of the most shockingly crummy photos of a building I've ever seen printed in a news article. I understand that the WSJ has gone down hill since News corp took it over but...this is apalling...and the photo is credited to Getty Images...

I found the story on line....check it out for yourself...
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123991207123426359.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i know what you mean brad ..
    i have friends who are realtors and they told me
    it really doesn't matter what the images look like bad and worse,
    because it is just supposed to "spark the interest of a potential buyer" ...
    not to mention they don't want to pay for anything since it comes out of their
    commission ...

can't see the image since i am not a subscriber

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Brad,

Crappy snapshot helped the film industry refine their products buy providing film sales. Crappy digisnaps will do the same for both analog and d------l industries.

It would be a good idea to encourage every lousy snapshoter and digisnapper to take every snapshot or image they can.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    can't see the image since i am not a subscriber

john

Odd. I googled "carl icahn kerkorian" - the subject of the article - and was able to see the photo when I followed the first link provided by google....copied that URL here but, when I follow the link above (should be same page - right?), I cannot see the photo or read the whole article. Perhaps, I got re-directed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just out of interest, what does the 'real' in 'real estate agent' mean? In the UK, the term is just 'estate agent' without the 'real' which seems more logical (at least, to us!).

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Just out of interest, what does the 'real' in 'real estate agent' mean? In the UK, the term is just 'estate agent' without the 'real' which seems more logical (at least, to us!).

Steve.

Oh...we could have a whole dicussion of weirdness in the two languages...

In the UK a solicitor is the guy who asks questions in a courtroom in an effort to get witnesses to reveal the facts of the case. In the US, a solicitor is an annoying person who comes to your door asking you to buy magazine subscriptions you don't want or need...

We could go on and on...

PS. I have no idea what makes our estates "REAL" those over there ...uh, not real
    Last edited by BradS; 04-17-2009 at 12:49 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    from the on-line dictionary/ reference real estate means:

Basic types of property in English common law, roughly corresponding to the division between immovables and movables in civil law. Real property consists of land, buildings, crops, and other resources, improvements, or fixtures still attached to the land. Personal property is essentially all property other than real property, including goods, animals, money, and vehicles.
    somehow it makes sense.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Oh...we could have a whole dicussion of weirdness in the two languages...
    No, only one of them is weird!

Which one depends on your location.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by naeroscatu View Post
    somehow it makes sense.
    It does indeed. Now back to our regular program..... (sorry, I meant programme).

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Speak and write Canadian: then you have the best of both...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin