Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,886   Online: 1012

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    I love how great metal looks in b/w.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    2001?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    great shot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I kinda like it myself.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "I'm afraid I can't do that Dave."

Great shot!
    Canadian Correspondent for the Film Photography Podcast
    A bi-monthly podcast for people who love to shoot film!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Like other people I fail to see the 2001 connection in it, although it is a fine photo.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    2001: A Space Odyssey is one of the great cinema masterpieces. It was shot on 65mm film stock in Super Panavision 70 format. That is, spherical lenses (not anamorphic) on 65 mm film stock in an aspect ratio of 2.20:1 (which is very close to sqrt(5) : 1, an absolutely beautiful ratio which has been used in everything from architecture to Japanese gardens for millennia). The film was released in several formats for projection, but the kick-ass 70mm print is the one to watch. If you ever get a chance to see the 70mm print projected, just do it. It's absolutely jaw-dropping.

Turns out that there were less than 20 pictures made with these amazing Panavision cameras, and Panavision got out of this particular business around 1983 IIRC. Too bad. The results are spectacular.

As to your image, it's good to see people being inspired by the masters. The team of Stanley Kubrick and Geoffrey Unsworth (cinematography) should inspire us all. Masters of light, shadow, and framing, and visual story telling skills that seem to be heading for extinction these days. So, good on ya.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Kubrick (and Unsworth) were really good at interesting angles and viewpoints, creating a sort of ambience of something hidden beneath. It is inspiring to watch, yet on some level it is disturbing and slightly disorienting. I think the OP is on his way towards that feeling in his photograph.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having recently re-watched 2001, I can see the connection. The styling of the bench and wall seen in this image very much remind me of the furniture style that is found in the space station visited in the film.
    Canadian Correspondent for the Film Photography Podcast
    A bi-monthly podcast for people who love to shoot film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    clinical, bleak, fits the tittle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin