Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,504   Online: 851

Shooter
    35mm

Dumb question avoided?

I was going to ask if abandoned buildings would be under the heading of Architecture , which is what an abandoned build is, or would they be found under Landscape, which is where abandoned buildings are customarily found. I suppose one could make an argument either way, but I'm finding a lot of posts on decrepit buildings here, under Architecture.

We have a large number of abandoned buildings here in Buckingham County, Virginia. I've always been fascinated by decrepit houses. They all have a history: who lived in it? what were their lives like? how did they make their living? were they happy or sad or in-between. And so on. I usually stay outside of the house unless I know for certain that it is structurally sound. Also, during the summer, old houses are the abodes of snakes and more frequently, yellow jackets and hornets, which you usually don't notice until it is way too late.

My camera of choice right now is a Yashica MAT 124G, which probably isn't the ideal camera for architecture, but I have yet to get a 150mm lens for my field camera. And black-and-white, of course. My biggest problem is finding something close enough to the road so I don't need to trespass. Many of these old houses are posted, but the owners aren't not easily found.

Anyway, thank you for reading. My best to everyone.

Stephen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, those are also architectural photographs.

Check out the Barboursville Ruins, in Barboursville Virginia. Designed by Thomas Jefferson.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes I have seen some snakes and yellow jackets in empty houses. It takes real nerve to run back into an empty house to recover the camera and tripod I left behind when the swarm flew at me. I hate that when that happens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The term you are looking for is probably Urban Exploration, or "urbex".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    UrbEx, UE, Urban Exploration, yep that's correct. I love poking around the abandoned. Especally with film cameras.

Barber Mill, Georgetown, ON.
    Canadian Correspondent for the Film Photography Podcast
    A bi-monthly podcast for people who love to shoot film!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Is there a reason that you need to put a label/title on this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mack View Post
    ..I've always been fascinated by decrepit houses. They all have a history: who lived in it? what were their lives like? how did they make their living? were they happy or sad or in-between. And so on.

Stephen
    I've always been intrigued by decrepit houses, barns and old equipment for many of the same reasons. Many stories behind what we are viewing, but we will never hear or know them. I somehow feel the need to capture something about them before they are gone completely.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Is there a reason that you need to put a label/title on this?
    Humans like to classify things. i actually prefer the term 'guerrilla archeologist' or 'urban archeology' simply because I do extensive research on many of the places I visit.
    Canadian Correspondent for the Film Photography Podcast
    A bi-monthly podcast for people who love to shoot film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Over the past few years I have been shooting abandoned/run down houses, buildings and factories classifying it as "relic real estate". I have always been fascinated with the old and worn now I suppose I will have to do a series of self portraits.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also like to shoot old abandoned/old homes and factories.

Jeff

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin