Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,899   Posts: 1,584,388   Online: 695

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now THAT is a child portrait! WOW. I think you have something special there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    So true, which makes it nice to have people come up to me at restraunts, social gatherings, etc and tell me how nice my boys are. It is always a bit of a surprise since they are just behaving as I would expect them to. If one treats one's kids with respect, I think they will approach others the same way. If one talks down to one's kids, then they are likely to talk down to people whom they might consider "beneath" them. And they watch their parents react very closely. Disiplining one's kids does nothing if the parents also do not provide the example of proper behaviour...otherwise it just teaches the kids to be more sneaky.

My three boys (triplets) are very different from each other, too -- as you said, Sly, one "size" does not fit all!

My boys at about 5 yrs old or so.
    8x10 Platinum/palladium print
    probably about a 30 second exposure

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    If I had a child dart out into traffic you can bet your ass that his ass would be red, immediately and even swiftly.
    It is patently obvious that you do not have any idea of what you are talking about.
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    It is patently obvious that you do not have any idea of what you are talking about.
    It is sort of like a straight telling a gay how to best fit into society...

Here is another of the series of my boys. Once I determine the general composition, I tend to let them pick their spot and pose in the landscape. Any portrait is a bit of a collaberation between the photographer and the subject(s). I generally only do one set up per trip into the landscape. This is an on-going project (over-due for another image, though!) and I need their willing and (at least) semi-enthusiastic cooperation -- or else the project falls apart.

Here is another -- I have probably posted it before. This was a two-minute exposure.

Three Boys, Three Snags
    Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park
    New Years Day, 2008

8x10 Carbon Print
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WS3Boys3SnagsCarbon.jpg  
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... and another. This really was a "reluctant child" (not belligerent, but not liking the process) until he was told to relax and "be himself".

4x5 view camera with 250mm Fujinon soft focus lens. Ilford FP4, I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Matt___SF_1.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's almost always better to involve kids in the process. Worked in Cub Scouts, worked in Boy Scouts. Worked with the parents of Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts. And it works with me too.

Film photography is all about delayed gratification. Not a concept that develops early in life. So something tangible helps. Was easier when Polaroid film was cheap and plentiful - let the child take a few shots with the Polaroid to get in the mood. Just not the same with digital - it's not as tangible - but perhaps still helpful.

I haven't tried with large format, but I would guess the oddity of a view camera and seeing the reverse image on the GG might help pique interest and foster cooperation.

Also, I happen to believe (but no proof) that getting down on their level helps. IE sit on the floor so you aren't towering over them.

You can pretty much bet that any forced pose will not be worthwhile. But I've seen "studio" photos on the walls of friends and family that I thought were trite and formulaic. Yet they liked them. It's all in the eyes of the beholder.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    As a parent (and a parent of a five year old boy no less) I would much rather candid shots of him in his element than the sterile "say cheese" shots! I assure you they will be outstanding and the parents will love the comfortable enviornment you created than a forced smile session.
    +1
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    Right, give the kid a good spanking before a photo shoot, that'll be a great way to get lots of smiles. (not)
    Very true, but people would comment about my father's photographs of us that "the eyes are so bright!" Tears will do it every time.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Here is another of the series of my boys. Once I determine the general composition, I tend to let them pick their spot and pose in the landscape. Any portrait is a bit of a collaberation between the photographer and the subject(s). I generally only do one set up per trip into the landscape. This is an on-going project (over-due for another image, though!) and I need their willing and (at least) semi-enthusiastic cooperation -- or else the project falls apart.
    Another beauty, Vaughn. You've done something which is the essence of great portraiture, and that is to create an image that goes beyond the parent/child connection and is somehow representative of humanity as a whole.

What I mean is that it is quite easy to make a portrait of a child that the parents will love. It's their child, after all, so even an "advanced amateur snapshot" will have some significance to them. Going beyond that to create a portrait of a child (or adult) that is appealing, intriguing and significant to people who aren't members of their immediate family is quite difficult.

You've created something that concretizes what children really are: marvelous, complex, imaginative, mystical, playful and sometimes sullen or even dangerous. Maybe I'm seeing too far into this because I have three boys (11, 8 and 4) that I know can be so many beautiful and crazy things at the same time.

Happy Sunday!
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thank you, Parker. I was in a 4 person show at a local gallery -- the owner was at first a bit worried when I said I was going to put up images of my boys. She was quite relieved when she saw the prints.

So, now I have an excuse to post another one...

Well, two more

Both 8x10 platinum prints. One with a 210mm and the other with a 159mm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WSBoysSideCanyonPC.jpg   WSBoysPC.jpg  
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vaughn, I remeber your prints vividly. What a treat it was to see your work in-the-hand. I hope to meet your wonderful sons some day.

I've posted 3 work prints from last weeks shoot in the gallery. Feedback appreciated.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin