Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,733   Posts: 1,515,316   Online: 894

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 portraits

Shooter
    Medium Format

4x5 portraits

After years of digital I'm shooting 4x5 film again for fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shelly 6-2-12 1.jpg   Rachel 6-2-12.jpg  
    Last edited by Douglas Benton; 06-02-2012 at 10:11 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Home Douglas !

Ron

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you much. I have indeed been made to feel welcome. This is a great forum.
    Doug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to A.P.U.G Douglas, you just don't get that sort of quality and tonality you get with 4X5 with digital.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Welcome to A.P.U.G Douglas, you just don't get that sort of quality and tonality you get with 4X5 with digital.
    That may be true eventually, but right now, for me, I have a lot more control and I know what I'm doing with digital. I started shooting digital professionally and stopped shooting film in about 2002. Prior to that I shot 2 1/4 and 4x5, a little 8x10, mostly E6. Even though I was shooting it every day, I didn't process and print my own work, so it was really a lot longer since I have done much in the dark room.

Even though I liked digital, my decision to shoot it was not really a personal choice. The market I was working in, pretty much demanded it. There were a couple of hold outs who continued to shoot film for a while, but they were losing clients who wanted the immediacy of film. Art directors had always been willing to wait for their images to run through the lab, but once they had the taste, they often wanted to take the files with them at the end of the shoot. It was a huge shift in what and how we did things. I actually started creating better images than I did when I shot film. It wasn't that digital was better, but that I had more control. I don't have that control with film yet with the processing and scanning. I'm shooting film that's more than a decade out of date, and developing in my bathroom, and I'm just figuring out how to scan.
    If I am the end user, It's all about the image. I don't necessarily care how the image was created. However, as the creator, the process is a big part of it.

I'm having a great time rediscovering the love for the process (most of the time).
    Doug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope you enjoy your return to film. Digital really has transformed life over the past decade or decade-and-a-half, I very much agree. This isn't even limited to photography, but really much of our technology and culture has changed as a result of digital technology, particularly the internet.

The portraits you made are just stunning. They both have a very certain magical quality to it that I've never really seen before (I'm not very well read on large format, though, I just know 35mm and 120). I hope to see more of your portraits on here!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG! Nice portraits.
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Some of the "you don't get that with digital" factor is the lenses available for larger formats - especially when you get into the bigger-than-4x5 formats. Very little can hold a candle (in a modern-ish lens) to a Kodak Commercial Ektar for a portrait lens, something you'd never be able to take advantage of with digital in any currently available format (well, maybe a BetterLight 4x5 scanning back, but you get the idea). And a Verito, Vesta, Vitax or Heliar? Fuggedaboutit!

Welcome back to analog large format. And don't stop at just 4x5! I shot 4x5 for a while, then size creep kicked in, and now I'm mostly shooting 6.5x8.5 (yes you can get film for that) and 5x7, but I have a 14x17 in my arsenal. Nothing quite like a life-size headshot, contact printed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice work! Keep shooting 4x5 film!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin