Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,911   Posts: 1,521,601   Online: 882

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format

really good....

really good 1st effort, both on photog's and model's part...

and what "they" said!

thought some of them needed tighter cropping - the bedding does not add to the message.

you're definitely on the right track.

jvo

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by msbarnes View Post
    OK so there are 4 images that I would like to be analyzed and critiqued in terms of development, lighting, composition, and/or anything you find relevant.

Quick question. For black and white, is there a difference between gold and silver reflectors? I figured that it isn't relevant.
    Yes, " normal" black and white film is less sensitive to warmer light. Lit all tungsten for example, you lose about a stop. I have tested this.

Shooter
    35mm
    In regard to the preferred images they depart somewhat from my tastes because the focal length introduces a lot of perspective. Was this your intention?

The lighting could use a little more ratio for my taste, except the third of the selects. That's just me of course. The important thing to ask yourself is did they come out the way you envisioned?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    In regard to the preferred images they depart somewhat from my tastes because the focal length introduces a lot of perspective. Was this your intention?

The lighting could use a little more ratio for my taste, except the third of the selects. That's just me of course. The important thing to ask yourself is did they come out the way you envisioned?
    Thank you for your response in regards to the silver/gold reflector but can you elaborate in your response a bit? I'm not so well acquainted with some photography lingo.

1. By a lot of perspective, you mean that you would have preferred to use a longer lens, say for like the first image, because my lens selection/distance seems to make the front of her body unnaturally larger than the rear?

2. By lighting ratio, do you mean more contrast? As in more lighting in certain areas and less in other areas?

As in achieving my vision. I'm not sure. I just wanted to experiment and play around. I think as I get more experienced my style will be more consistent and my vision more clear. Overall, I am happy with the images and so is she.

I just posted this to get some feedback and to understand what people do and do not like about my work. Ofcourse tastes differ as our styles and preferences can be different. I will accept and reject comments and advice but having more feedback, I think, never hurts as long as it is constructive. Some people have commented on things like keeping my background vertical lines straight, I honestly never payed attention to details like that, but that is something that I will be more aware of. I also feel that film photographers are more conservative in the focal lengths/lighting so advice here I value greatly.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by msbarnes View Post
    Thank you for your response in regards to the silver/gold reflector but can you elaborate in your response a bit? I'm not so well acquainted with some photography lingo.

1. By a lot of perspective, you mean that you would have preferred to use a longer lens, say for like the first image, because my lens selection/distance seems to make the front of her body unnaturally larger than the rear?

2. By lighting ratio, do you mean more contrast? As in more lighting in certain areas and less in other areas?

As in achieving my vision. I'm not sure. I just wanted to experiment and play around. I think as I get more experienced my style will be more consistent and my vision more clear. Overall, I am happy with the images and so is she.

I just posted this to get some feedback and to understand what people do and do not like about my work. Ofcourse tastes differ as our styles and preferences can be different. I will accept and reject comments and advice but having more feedback, I think, never hurts as long as it is constructive. Some people have commented on things like keeping my background vertical lines straight, I honestly never payed attention to details like that, but that is something that I will be more aware of. I also feel that film photographers are more conservative in the focal lengths/lighting so advice here I value greatly.
    Hi,

Light comes in different flavors that range from warm to cool, or to be a little more correct, wavelengths that correspond from red-ish to blue-ish. It is measured in something called kelvin degrees. Warmer light, like that from candles, old school tungsten light bulbs, quartz halogen, and golden reflectors, are on the warm, red/ orange end of things. Daylight, flash, arc lights, cool fluorescents, etc are on the blue end. Most black and white film is less sensitive to warm red-ish light than it is to cool blue-ish light. This is called spectral sensitivity. For some films this curve has been published and for some you've got to test or guess, but usually it's from 1/2 to 1 stop less sensitive. Since negative film enjoys over exposure much more than under exposure, I just call it one stop open up one when my key source is warm.

In regards to perspective, yes, that is what I mean, but that is a matter of taste. If that was your intention, you did a good job. If it wasn't, well, something else to consider.

In regard to lighting, yes, old farts like me express contrasts as ratios of key to fill in stops.

It's fun to play around, it is a good way to learn certain things. Certain other things are learned by setting out to do something deliberate and figuring out how. Once you can do that, playing around becomes much more powerful, because you know how to take full advantage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin