Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,696   Online: 1166

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Feedback/Critique invited

or

Comments/feedback welcome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the second photo the fuzzy object in the foreground detracts my eye from the subject matter. It has no place in the picture and should not be there. In both shots the shadows are too dark and detail is lost. The hair, the eyes and the jacket are too dark and blacked out.

I prefer the 1st picture. However, the very bright upper left is in stark contrast to the lower left of the image, which is black. This causes an unbalanced effect and is not easy for me eyes to traverse. A tighter frame might have been better, or even more of the subject with more of a story coming out of the surroundings, or a contrasty subject against a blown out sky (no house in the background) with more detail in the subject features might have been more interesting.

NB. The darkness might be my work monitor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like you should have added a bit of a fill-in flash to lighten up a bit the character in the picture.

This negative could be saved with a little bit of dodging, though.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ok-the darkness is a JPEG compression issue and/or a monitor issue- I scanned these and adjusted them on my monitor at home which is calibrated and profiled. Looking at them on my monitor at work, they're much darker than they are on my monitor at home, which is par for the course - my monitor at work which is not profiled is always dark.

The fuzzy object is a parking meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Ok-the darkness is a JPEG compression issue and/or a monitor issue- I scanned these and adjusted them on my monitor at home which is calibrated and profiled. Looking at them on my monitor at work, they're much darker than they are on my monitor at home, which is par for the course - my monitor at work which is not profiled is always dark.

The fuzzy object is a parking meter.
    I have the same issue with my cheapo monitors at work.

I thought it was Daffy Duck photo-bombing you!

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Scott. I like them very much! If I had shot them I would have had less head room in the first and more nose room in the second, or if i was enlarging, crop them as such. Very nice portraits, thanks for sharing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    I have the same issue with my cheapo monitors at work.

I thought it was Daffy Duck photo-bombing you!
    More like Bender from Futurama!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Hi Scott. I like them very much! If I had shot them I would have had less head room in the first and more nose room in the second, or if i was enlarging, crop them as such. Very nice portraits, thanks for sharing.
    When you say nose room, what do you mean? have the right border closer to his head, and more room between his nose and the left border?
    Last edited by JBrunner; 05-21-2013 at 03:03 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Nothing altered. Moderator screw up.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Seems dark on my work computer monitor too. The darkness doesn't suit my impression of him, which is quite a bit more jovial than the first glance at the image gives. Also, I'd like to see some light in his eyes (not that every image needs catch lights but they can help).

Agreed on the parking meter being a bit too prominent in the frame/distinguishable than just giving some depth cues.
    Last edited by Fixcinater; 05-21-2013 at 01:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Can you describe how the picture is to be used, or for what intention it was taken? Any feedback may then be more constructive.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin