Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,139   Online: 1153

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you for the clarification. Thinking about it, that actually makes a lot of sense.
    Michael | tumblr

Shooter
    35mm
    Not a critique per se but just my quick personal thoughts:

#1: Bad use of wide angle for a portrait. Not enough fill light. A reflector is key in those situations. Dusty neg.
    #2: Excellent portrait but the window is really bothering me. It brings me back to your setup instead of keeping my attention on the model.
    #3: The best of the bunch by a long shot.
    #4: Too amateur on all accounts. The pose, the hidden feet in the sand, the non-existent left arm, the hair hiding her face, the sunglasses, the little shack on the horizon is distracting, the sand itself is distracting with all the Tire trails.

Shooter
    35mm
    His remark is the very best thing that you can do to understand the light in relation to a subject. It's photography 101 and classic practice.

Nowadays, everyone is a "Pro photographer". Buy a camera, read a few forums and and expert is born. Back then, when photography was a serious thing with classes and teachers, the Pepper was an imperative homework.

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by msbarnes View Post
    I a specific question about exposure/fill.

I guess this is more of a style thing but in another forum someone commented that my exposure is bad and that I needed to use fill via reflector or flash. I think that my exposure is fine as I get enough shadow detail but something like fill I would consider.

Ofcourse this is more of a style and personal choice but is anyone put off by this?

I'm thinking of using a reflector and/or flash for for under harsh conditions like the last image and images like this:

Attachment 71823

Well I'll have to play around with it, but I worry that using artificial lighting to fill might make things look unnatural...but the trick might be in the skill of lighting.
    Her outfit barely has detail on the top, but turns to a wedge of black towards the bottom. You could have exposed for her face, and controlled the highlights either through development or burning — looks like the exposure was just an average of the whole scene. In this case, a reflector would have helped; especially to soften the harsh shadow that is distractingly slashing down her neck and shoulders. The shadows are blatantly obvious if you shoot in mid-day sun, so use them to help your composition; otherwise, grab a coffee and wait for the sun to soften or clouds to roll in. Just my two cents on this one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin