Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,816   Posts: 1,581,634   Online: 877

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Can you critique me.

I am working on improving my photography.

Well you can view most of my work here:
    http://cargocollective.com/michaelsergiobarnes

but it would seem more logical for me to post fewer pictures and so here is a select 4:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crit6.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	71782

Name:	crit1.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	71783

Name:	crit7.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	71784

Name:	crit8.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	71785
    Michael | tumblr

Shooter
    Large Format
    Not a thing in the world wrong there, especially when you have good subject material handy. Nothing wrong with the technique, so there's nothing to critique (criticize). Sure can't do that kind of work around where I live. No subject material. Pretty good work there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The last one is the best, not generic looking for a portrait. The contrast of the black dress and the white ground is very nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice. I like the tones and flow of 1 & 2 the best. #3 intrigues me because I'm a bit bothered by the upward gaze (too much nostril, perhaps?) but keep going back wishing there was a bit more "below the frame" showing. Just a little more, not much more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I a specific question about exposure/fill.

I guess this is more of a style thing but in another forum someone commented that my exposure is bad and that I needed to use fill via reflector or flash. I think that my exposure is fine as I get enough shadow detail but something like fill I would consider.

Ofcourse this is more of a style and personal choice but is anyone put off by this?

I'm thinking of using a reflector and/or flash for for under harsh conditions like the last image and images like this:

Name:	77.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	71823

Well I'll have to play around with it, but I worry that using artificial lighting to fill might make things look unnatural...but the trick might be in the skill of lighting.
    Michael | tumblr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not put off by it, but a tad more lighting of the eyes in photo 1 was a thought of mine

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Not put off by it, but a tad more lighting of the eyes in photo 1 was a thought of mine
    That was my thought. The light on the shoulderblades is good but in all your photos, the face is poorly lit. Eyes should sparkle rather than being in pits of shadow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I liked them all, but the 1st one had too little DOF. I find that your subject would have been better emphasized with a broader focus. As usual, this is probably a taste issue.

Good work. You are on the path of many great images.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time... My flickr
    Peter Carter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    wonderful photos... I'm no expert myself, but i would add some fill or flash... of course i would decide this based on the sync speed of your camera, and given that you mostly use natural light, reflector is the natural answer....

btw... the 1st photograph is my favorite of the four... moreover, i think the focus is fine and the shadow/darkness of it is awesome... putting a fill in here, would ruin the mood of such a photograph, which i see is somewhat prevalent here.

i mentored with a photographer who went from medium format to digital with many years of experience, the thing he always emphasized was catchlights (of course in the case of photo 1 and many others on your website the photographs don't call for catchlights).. I think for those that do merit in some fill light also deserve some catchlights.

all in all, those are awesome photographs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    excellent use of light... and spacing. i like them though it's easier to find things that i'd criticize if it my work... since you asked i'll offer it!
    #1 i'd like the face to be sharper, it would "attract me more
    #2 the window is growing out of her chin
    #3 is excellent, my favorite... i get real emotion and connection/cooperation between photographer and model in creating something
    #4 that sharpness again. i might even increase the contrast and moving the model back and using the tire tracks.

keep going, wish i'd done them!

jvo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin