Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,221   Online: 856

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Large Format
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    Yes in years to come they will be just ordinary Will and Kate, your friendly neighbourhood constitutional monarchs .
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The comment in the article that the Cecil Beaton photo was a bit dull, well it was commissioned by the royal family. I think that being dull is part of their job description.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Large Format
    I get what you are saying, but at that time I'm not sure that that is fair. After a abdication, a war, and a marriage, the royal family was anything but dull. And Cecil Beaton was a real favorite of the Queen Mother for his rejuvenation of the monarchy with his totally different pictures of the then Queen Elizabeth. Cecil Beaton certainly could never be called dull.
    Prince Phillip didn't really like him, remarking on his floppy hats. The Queen Mother liked him. She had a propensity to gays in her entourage. I expect he got the job of photographing the baby pictures of Charles because of the Queen Mother.
    Personally I like Richard Speaight"s images of the Queen then Duchess of York and Elizabeth the second of the Vanity Fair images
    Last edited by cowanw; 08-25-2013 at 08:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Large Format
    This is like watching a train wreck. This article tells you all that is wrong interactively
    http://www.theguardian.com/artanddes...ght-royal-mess

Regards
    Bill

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But seemingly nothing wrong with the baby concerning that critic. And the baby is the person the photo is about...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While the British are happy to have a member of the royal family dedicate a new shopping center they would not be happy with the dedication of a new bordello. That's what I meant by dull, newsworthy but not too newsworthy.

Edward VIII with his Nazi sympathies and his dalliance with "that Simpson woman" was a publicity nightmare. When he was forced to abdicate it was the best for the country. Had he continued on the throne he might have destroyed the monarchy single handedly. Now George VI was a proper king, a bit dull but proper.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 08-26-2013 at 10:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin