Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,254   Online: 766

View Poll Results: Do you think my photo is staged or not?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, staged photo

18 64.29%
  • No, it is posed, but not staged

10 35.71%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Staged or not?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
    I have no clue what this thread is about. Can someone please explain it in 25 words or less?
    hi doc

not in 25 words ...

maybe:

nonsubscriber with link to clichéed image disallowed at other sites needs "votes" for "validation", some think its pathetic, others don'tcare, others joke, others ....

i guess i did it in 25 words.

Shooter
    Large Format
    No offense to the OP, but I'm surprised the moderators have not closed the thread.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    No offense to the OP, but I'm surprised the moderators have not closed the thread.
    Why? Just for being kinda pointless? There wouldn't be much on the Internet if you tried to enforce that rule.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I voted on the question, but I also am wondering what the point is. I have no objection to pictures of Nazis and don't really understand why others do. They were a band of criminals who purposely brought on the greatest calamity the world has ever seen and they must be remembered. Neo-Nazis are just pitiful creeps. Dangerous pitiful creeps, but still pitiful.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    I voted on the question, but I also am wondering what the point is. I have no objection to pictures of Nazis and don't really understand why others do. They were a band of criminals who purposely brought on the greatest calamity the world has ever seen and they must be remembered. Neo-Nazis are just pitiful creeps. Dangerous pitiful creeps, but still pitiful.
    I don't have any objections to pictures of Nazis per se. I just don't like images of Nazis being bandied about for another purpose (i.e. to be "edgy" or "alternative", etc.). As you say, the tragedies brought on by the Nazis constitute the greatest calamity of the 20th century (and possibly in all of history) and images of that regime should not be used lightly, lest they lose their power to remind us of the extent of that tragedy.

If someone is trying to make a statement about that tragedy and wants to use that imagery...fine. If someone is just trying to establish a reputation as an "artist" that is "edgy", I think it is in poor form and, as others have commented, a little tired, overused, etc.
    "Once the amateur's naive approach and humble willingness to learn fades away, the creative spirit of good photography dies with it. Every professional should remain always in his heart an amateur." - Alfred Eisenstadt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Also, just to say it, the tone of the OP's posts in this thread aren't winning any points. The "I'll tell you my secret...maybe...if I get enough votes..." is a little annoying. If you want an honest opinion, ask an honest question without playing "hide the ball."
    "Once the amateur's naive approach and humble willingness to learn fades away, the creative spirit of good photography dies with it. Every professional should remain always in his heart an amateur." - Alfred Eisenstadt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matthew - good points.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    35mm
    OK, I will give the rundown in a few hours. Looks like only 4% of the people bothered to vote. Get it in...time is running out!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmycam View Post
    OK, I will give the rundown in a few hours. Looks like only 4% of the people bothered to vote. Get it in...time is running out!
    Whos time, yours or ours?
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I sincerely hope it is documentary and not staged, because if it were staged it would say nothing positive about the photographer. That said, I voted that it is staged, because I would hope that the person depicted in the photo did not in fact share those opinions expressed by the flag and the newspaper headline.

+1 to the opinions expressed that it comes across as a tasteless attempt at generating shock value, sadly through cliched hackneyed tropes. NOT that I'm encouraging exploration of other forms of shock like violence either. And enough with the coy games. Just out with it and say what you're looking for.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin