Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,955   Posts: 1,522,808   Online: 982

View Poll Results: Do you think my photo is staged or not?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, staged photo

18 64.29%
  • No, it is posed, but not staged

10 35.71%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Staged or not?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    This could be a visual psychological experiment by the OP.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmycam View Post
    OK, I will give the rundown in a few hours. Looks like only 4% of the people bothered to vote. Get it in...time is running out!
    Is there a prize if we guess right?

Actually, I'm guessing not staged. The pile of crap in the background suggests clueless loser, and this photo does not otherwise suggest careful attention to detail.

Shooter
    35mm
    OK, here is the rundown as promised…

I was first clued into the ‘staging’ issue when I posted a photo of a pole dancer to another forum. (Nude)

http://www.artslant.com/ny/works/show/693488

One member replied how he would have moved the pole to another angle, as he didn’t like my positioning. Another said he would have used a different base color, as he didn’t like my blue color. Well you know how it goes, everybody can shoot it better than you can. But that is not the issue. I’m well used to how great everyone else is and how bad I am. My problem was that the pole dancer was NOT a staged shot.

How in the hell they think I staged it is beyond me. It would seem pretty clear I was walking by her camp and asked to to hold still for a second so I could shoot her. But what is clear to me must not be clear to others. So I let it go and dismissed it as a fluke.

Here is another one that they say I staged. (Nude)

http://www.artslant.com/ny/works/show/732608-the-sunlit-slipper

I met her in L.A. in 1973. I went to her house to shoot her. The floor was littered with dog poop. I had to be careful where I stepped and where I put the tripod legs. The only light was the window. Was a very tough print to do. If I staged it, I would have lit it some.

Now, getting to the Nazi. The same staging accusation came up on another forum a couple weeks ago. The photo in this poll question is of an American Nazi. I met her in L.A. in 1973 and went to her house so shoot her. I photographed her in her bedroom - everything is exactly as shown. She is posed…but photo is not staged.

I was never aware so many people viewed the Nazi photo as staged before. After I received some of this feedback I decided to put a note on the back stating the photo is not staged and exactly what it was. Same with the pole dancer and a few others I didn’t want to be accused of staging.

The PP was done for anonymity. For decades I showed the Nazi photo as a standard BW. But when the internet came along I was not comfortable putting it out there. So that is the reason for the processing. While black face was not my first choice. I am very happy with the outcome and wont be changing a thing to it.

Thanks to all that bothered to vote. I appreciate your feedback!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmycam View Post
    OK, here is the rundown as promised…

Now, getting to the Nazi. She is posed…but photo is not staged.
    If she posed it is staged.
    Last edited by cliveh; 08-28-2013 at 06:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Posing is staged, but the question is: why are you so upset over a staged shot? My friend once went into Antelope Canyon in the early 80s and it turned out that an up-and-coming Utah landscape photographer happened to be on the same trip. He pulls out his feather, clears the footprints and even brought in his own tumbleweed! Well, that shot still sales for tons of money... To some extent, a lot of the not-staged stuff has a staged aspect to it whether or not it was intentional either.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Fishing for clicks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    As a one-off image, it doesn't really matter. There just isn't enough information there to say what it means. Maybe it's an expose of contemporary American neo-Nazis, or maybe it's a form of Nazi propaganda, or maybe it's a dramatization of something in the photographer's mind.

If this is part of a larger documentary essay, then the question is whether the essay as a whole is honest. Is it a fair study of neo-Nazis, or is it an exaggeration or manipulation?

Recently I saw a photograph of someone's hand with parallel lacerations through the fingers--a disturbing image. The caption described it as punishment in an Islamic country for reading the Bible. The photo has also circulated for years with a caption describing it as an accident involving a paper shredder.

Documentary photos are not "art for art's sake." Their meaning depends on some context and explanation, whether in the form of text or a body of images or implied context. That's part of the art and craft of documentary.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    what is the point of this portrait ?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin