Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,773   Posts: 1,484,395   Online: 1031

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: D76

Shooter
    4x5 Format

D76

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-12-14 at 9.44.03 pm.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	361.3 KB 
ID:	78434
    Hello All,
    Finally developed in D76, my first time. I liked the results!!
    Kodat T-Max 400, tray developed in D76 for 9 mins at 20 deg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Raffay. Congratulations. It always feels good when something works.

If I could make a suggestion, to me it would have been even nicer if the picture had been a bit brighter. Let some more of the gorgeous light in. Maybe open your aperture up a stop, or even two, next time.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Raffay,

Always great to see your photographs!

Did you use D76 straight? Or mixed with water 1 part D76 to 1 part water?

Your earlier negatives were thinner. This looks like you have better quality, maybe even "perfect" according to standards (using the best part of the film for the part of picture that people see - the midtones and above).

Now that you have high quality you can ask yourself this question: Does this meet your preference? If you wish more detail in the shadows (a non-standard quality that I personally like) you might expose the film at EI 320. Or you might develop longer (that's why I ask about straight vs. 1:1 because my personal development time is 1:1 for around 11 to 13 minutes but if you used the developer straight 11 minutes would be too long).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Let some more of the gorgeous light in. Maybe open your aperture up a stop, or even two, next time.
    Exactly! Same thought I had with fewer words.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hello Bill & Pioneer,

I think, and as you also mention, the quality of the negative is much better one that I have at least not seen before. As far as light, I am not sure if it is scanning, PS or conversion to jpg issue. Lets discuss these one by one below:

1. Scanning: When I scanned I set everything to default in VS and the colour management was neutral, film selected as Kodax 400 and the dev D76 CI .40 I am not sure what CI .40 is. At that setting the picture was was way too bright. Then I selected "None" at the top and Generic and it was good, I scanned it and it came out very nice.

2. After converting to jpg it is turning dull, I had this issue again as well

What are you basic VueScan settings if you scan, that is another reason I want to try 8x10 and do contract printing and do away with this scanning workflow. Please see my post 8x0 on a budget and share some thoughts.

@Bill: I have to discuss your post regarding exposure, contrast and development in which you gave an example of mountains. I had gone on a business trip right after that and never got around to discussing and learning from it.

I will try and rescan it, and post.

Cheers

Raffay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah yes. Scanning can certainly interfere with the best of prints. Unfortunately my scanning abilities are woefully weak. However, there may be others who may be able to provide some useful input on this.

I personally work within the Epson software that came with my scanner. I know it may seem silly but as with printing, my scanning workflow is very visual. I typically use the histogram and adjust my white and black points to get what appears to be an acceptable image. Unfortunately I don't think this will help you very much so I hope someone else can step in here.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Name:	jwindow.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	600.4 KB 
ID:	78478
    Another try, reviewed all the comments I got in my earlier help with scanning post and I believe this one is a better sample than the previous one.

Cheers
    Raffay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffay View Post

Name:	jwindow.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	600.4 KB 
ID:	78478
    Another try, reviewed all the comments I got in my earlier help with scanning post and I believe this one is a better sample than the previous one.

Cheers
    Raffay
    Whatever you did seemed to make all the difference on my monitor anyway. A very well framed picture to start with and it is much lighter now as well. The natural light is very visible.

It is such an amazing world we live in. We can discuss our hobbies and interests with others halfway around the world, but all that requires new skills. It is no longer good enough to do a good job exposing, developing and printing. Now we have to learn to scan it as well.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you Pioneer, and yes it is an amazing world. What sort of photography do you do?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffay View Post
    Thank you Pioneer, and yes it is an amazing world. What sort of photography do you do?
    Personally I love working with medium format and large format film but lately I am primarily using 35mm. I have worked a lot with color but over the past year and a half I have been trying to teach myself black and white photography. I would love to say it is going well, but that wouldn't be completely true. That is one of the reasons I am using 35mm since it allows me to shoot film a little more economically. Knowing something technically does not equal artistic competence. I am a very slow learner so it has taken longer than I anticipated. Fortunately my grandchildren are still relatively willing subjects, and I live in an area with amazing mountains and desert panoramas.

I am semi-retired but professionally I do freelance forensic photography for a number of rural police departments, and the occasional attorney, who do not have adequate budgets to support one of their own. It is a pretty restricting discipline and "artistic license" is not really appreciated, but I do enjoy doing it. However, it is all done digitally, and though I do appreciate what digital is capable of, I much prefer film in my personal life.

How about yourself? From the posts I have seen you seem interested in large format photography. What is it like photographing in your country?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin