Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,474   Posts: 1,570,976   Online: 832

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

richard avedon portrait

This has bugged me for many years and it's probably a dumb question with an obvious answer....
    Has any one figured out how he made that Bridget Bardot portrait with sharp features and hair thats sharp but moved somehow?
    Love to know........

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Kicked the tripod possibly. Worked for Steichen by all accounts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    can you link said portrait?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think that is just the way her hair was done. Alexandre of Paris did a series of hair for portraits.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    LOL! good one Mike but her eyes etc. would not be as sharply rendered IMHO.
    Bruce, try google Richard Avedon portrait of Bridget Bardot.
    Cowanw,I'm not up on hair do's but It appears to be moved in areas to me.again just MHO.
    I worked in the photographic department at Hallmark Cards (about 45 years ago) when my boss brought in Richard Avedon's book and this picture was full page about 8 1/2 "X 11",It was mesmerizing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    According to a link I found, it was a 1500 watt Salzman
    http://lifeslittleadventures.typepad.../avedon_years/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gosh it would have been worth while for me to tell you all which picture I was on about DUH!.sorry, wasn't thinking it through....
    Try Google VEST Brigitte Bardot by Richard Avedon Jan 27 1959
    It's a head and shoulder straight on shot and her hair seems to be moving. WoW! I got a little ahead of myself asking your opinions without any info.
    So let's try it agin....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Patrick,think you found a probable solution for my question (maybe) still wonder about the picture a little.
    I worked in a studio that had Saltzman hot lights and one was a 1500 watt flood which we always used on it's stand.It's hard to imagine anyone hand holding it let alone moving it around much(pretty big/bulky and heavy).Interesting idea though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blindpig View Post
    LOL! good one Mike but her eyes etc. would not be as sharply rendered IMHO.
    Bruce, try google Richard Avedon portrait of Bridget Bardot.
    Cowanw,I'm not up on hair do's but It appears to be moved in areas to me.again just MHO.
    I worked in the photographic department at Hallmark Cards (about 45 years ago) when my boss brought in Richard Avedon's book and this picture was full page about 8 1/2 "X 11",It was mesmerizing.
    OK, he kicked the enlarger! However, was quite serious about Steichen kicking out. I can't remember which book I saw it in but there was a colour studio shot which had a similar shuddering look. Tried it myself with 5x4 and has to be done quite gently! I know the Bardot shot and right about the eyes. Perhaps a slight double flash with the hair swishing about from a fan or assistant nearby wafting a big board?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At a guess was it some kind of diffused material held under the enlarger with a cut-out around her face? The print on the background behind her hair is the same so it's at the printing stage I think it was done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin