Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,114   Online: 960

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    So many that are great, and so many opinions too.
    Avedon for sure, and also for me David Bailey and JL Sieff.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sergei Rodionov, you can find his portraits in posts on a forum similar to this where the focus is on large format photography...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    August Sander, outstanding.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have a look at the work of Giancarlo Rado http://www.flickr.com/photos/23868213@N03/ He's on a mission photographing Italian folk. I feel sure he has been influenced by Robert Frank for the concept of his mission but his work really has something special about it. I think it's to do with the way he has the subjects so often making very firm eye contact with us...

RR

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you RR his work reminds more of Sander than Frank the title is more Frank than Sander though

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarletBrown View Post
    In portrait photography world we have many top most inspirational portrait photographers but which one of your inspirational portrait photographer that boost your photography skills and spirits?

For me only one portrait photographer who inspires me a lot and her name is Gertrude Käsebier.
    yosuf Karsh
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My father was an excellent portrait photographer whose images blended Karsh like lighting formality with relaxed invitations to the sitter to talk, or be expressive in whatever way they chose. He used a view camera and took great pains to compose a picture so that light would reveal features successfully, and focus would have as much dof as possible, and then he would stand beside the camera and not look at the GG again. He would talk to the sitters, and get them to forget the camera was even there. Since most subjects were used to seeing a photographer glued to the view finder, his detachment from the GG put them at ease. They didn't even realize he'd tripped the shutter with a long cable release until he went back to the camera to change the film holder. Because of the moving around I've done over the decades, I no longer have any of his work. but I remember the best of it vividly to this day. So....my dad was my favorite portraitist!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Doug,

ACA (Atlantic Center of the Arts), Daytona/New Smryna Beach currently has an exhibition of Jack Mitchell's portraits. Its a wonderful show with an abundance of Jack's portraits. Well worth seeing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Inayat Noor View Post
    Doug,

ACA (Atlantic Center of the Arts), Daytona/New Smryna Beach currently has an exhibition of Jack Mitchell's portraits. Its a wonderful show with an abundance of Jack's portraits. Well worth seeing.

Just saw that exhibit a few weeks ago with some friends (including Doug!). The Mitchell portraits are a permanent exhibit I think, and they're excellent. There are a lot of them...mostly people in the arts as that was Mitchell's concentration. He lived in New Smyrna, and just passed away there last November. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Mi...hotographer%29
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Nicholas Nixon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin