Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,515   Posts: 1,572,108   Online: 1111

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

Outstanding Portrait Photographer To Admire?

In portrait photography world we have many top most inspirational portrait photographers but which one of your inspirational portrait photographer that boost your photography skills and spirits?

For me only one portrait photographer who inspires me a lot and her name is Gertrude Käsebier.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Avedon, without a doubt. Take a look at "Richard Avedon's West"... if that is the title. He went west with his Deardorff and made some heart stopping portraits of the "area man", to harvest a bon mote from The Onion.

The book... actually, I think it is "Richard Avedon's West" or something, is inspiring and gorgeous. If you can find it, buy it. If your library has it, check it out.

William Albert Allard.Best photographer of the human subject I ever saw.

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    The book... actually, I think it is "Richard Avedon's West" or something, ...
    "In the American West"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by irvd2x View Post
    William Albert Allard.Best photographer of the human subject I ever saw.

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk 2
    Good one - wasn't aware of him before now, thanks.

For me having a quick look through the books on my library it's probably August Sander.

Shooter
    Large Format
    All those usually mentioned in portraiture have inspired me including Avedon, Karsh, Newman and Penn. One of the lesser knowns that I recently became familiar with is Jack Mitchell. He photographed many artists, especially dancers, that passed thru New York. He retired in Florida, but I unfortunately never met him before he recently passed away.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I do have a first edition copy of "In the American West" and I'm sure the list of outstanding portrait photographers will grow quite long. My addition to the list is a Canadian photographer Craig Richards. A number of years ago while on vacation I had the pleasure of meeting Craig and was most impressed by his photography. We later had a chance to entertain him here in Miami where I purchased one of his environmental portraits. while he is probably best known for his mountain landscapes, his portraits are exquisite. The ones I have seen were all silver-gelatin from 4x5 film.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

www.craigrichardsphotography.com/

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Edward Steichen was a genius of portrait photography and a great inspiration, Alfred Stieglitz, Paul Strand what an inspiration and in my opinion he also inspirated Avedon to a certain degree. Annie Leibovitz even if not liked by many is a constant source of inspiration and a good portrait photographer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Greg Heisler. Highly recommend his new book 50 Portraits.

Shooter
    35mm
    I also like Heisler.

-Xander

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin