Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,777   Online: 900

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Asked to take a portrait - help!

A friend of mine has been hitting the gym and lost a lot of weight; now he wants me to take a nude/semi nude photo of him to give to his girlfriend. I've never done people photos like this before, especially in a studio type setting.

Any tips for lighting, background etc? I'm more of a landscapes sort of guy and just work with natural light. Work does have a modest pair of strobes I could borrow with an umbrella for taking the "new employees" headshot.

I've got a Nikon F6 and Df with an SB800 speedlight, as well as MF and LF cameras and the usual sort of lenses. I'm a complete newbie to indoor people pictures, so I'm looking for a primer on lighting and backgrounds. Links to such resources would be great, I'm in the "I don't know what I don't know" stage.

I've only ever done one other people shot before, and I just treated him like a landscape! That won't work in winter here, since it was -30 this week.
    http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...imageuser=1719

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Has he shown you examples of what he has in mind? That's where I'd start.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alas no. I can ask that and go from there.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just say you don't do nudie pictures. That's the best ticket. If I asked my buddy for such a thing, he'd think I was a.... (not PC).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Alas no. I can ask that and go from there.
    That's what I'd do. Find a few that he likes and study the posing/light/background/etc and just replicate it. I assume he knows you're in a learning mode, so he shouldn't be expecting any stunning feats of artistic creativity here.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just look on utube videos for Rembrandt lighting. Pic one you like and go from there. It doesn't have to be complicated, nor do you need to over think it.

rembrandt lighting photography diagram

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For some unknown reason, this made me immediately think of the Simpsons episode where Homer has a boudoir photo shoot:

Anyhow, is your friend getting a defined physique? If so, I'd be thinking of making the lighting a bit harsher. But I do agree with omaha - find some examples and go from there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0f1f319c6d1ebd01dbc2871ecd662e6f.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post

I've only ever done one other people shot before, and I just treated him like a landscape! That won't work in winter here, since it was -30 this week.
    http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...imageuser=1719
    Maybe your friend's girlfriend likes goosebumps.

+1 on the finding something as an example first that you both like.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Just say you don't do nudie pictures. That's the best ticket. If I asked my buddy for such a thing, he'd think I was a.... (not PC).
    Not that there's anything wrong with that.... (Seinfeld reference).
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I shoot a lot of nudes... But I've been doing it for years, to think about how I look at them, I suppose treat them like a tree trunk....if you're going to look below the waist, do it through the lens as not to make them feel uncomfortable. Umm anyway back to the tree trunk, imagine it's 3:00pm in a park in the city, there's a skyscraper on their left side half reflecting the sun, and on their right front the sun would light them, (so two lights facing each other, one half (or 1/4th) the power of the other brighter one which is higher like the sub would be). And then just turn the subject till you like how the shadows on their new body and face are flattering.

That's my best advice for a Newb.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin