Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,910   Posts: 1,584,673   Online: 837

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: My Gothic Son

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think there's an "outside" demographic in every generation. The emo kids and ravers and metalheads and punks and mods and hippies and beatniks and flappers all seem to me to represent the same basic kind of alienation---a demographic for whom on paper life is supposed to be pretty good, but who consider that definition of "good" to be fake and exclusionary, and who are more or less trying to build something that they believe in. Scratch any of 'em and you find similar creatures under the different-looking surfaces, and they've all had cultural totems with the same basic message; watch _Suburbia_, _River's Edge_, _Rebel Without A Cause_, and _Easy Rider_ all in a block if you doubt it.

Personally, I wouldn't want to live in the _Leave It To Beaver_ world; to my point of view from a generation or so later, it looks like a cultural deathtrap. But these things are by definition personal.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    I think there's an "outside" demographic in every generation. The emo kids and ravers and metalheads and punks and mods and hippies and beatniks and flappers all seem to me to represent the same basic kind of alienation---a demographic for whom on paper life is supposed to be pretty good, but who consider that definition of "good" to be fake and exclusionary, and who are more or less trying to build something that they believe in. Scratch any of 'em and you find similar creatures under the different-looking surfaces, and they've all had cultural totems with the same basic message; watch _Suburbia_, _River's Edge_, _Rebel Without A Cause_, and _Easy Rider_ all in a block if you doubt it.
    Totally agree with this...

Personally, I wouldn't want to live in the _Leave It To Beaver_ world; to my point of view from a generation or so later, it looks like a cultural deathtrap. But these things are by definition personal.

-NT
    Plus, the sex would be so boring...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thought I'd come back on this one to give another 2¢ worth. Yeah, I guess I am fortunate. I grew up in the kind of family a smart man thanks God for. We weren't rich, but when I talk to my Dad about it now, he says "we lived within our means".
    I mention this now, because I just found out a couple hours ago that the woman found up the road in town at 3 in the morning slumped over the steering wheel with one in the head the other night--my next door neighbor over through the woods on the next piece of land, is in the klink right now. 37 year old boy going to prison for the rest of his life for getting too angry and too drunk with a gun in his hand; at his ex-wife. Makes you think how fortunate you are.
    I'd whole lot rather be shooting people with cameras and film.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Thought I'd come back on this one to give another 2¢ worth. Yeah, I guess I am fortunate. I grew up in the kind of family a smart man thanks God for. We weren't rich, but when I talk to my Dad about it now, he says "we lived within our means".
    I mention this now, because I just found out a couple hours ago that the woman found up the road in town at 3 in the morning slumped over the steering wheel with one in the head the other night--my next door neighbor over through the woods on the next piece of land, is in the klink right now. 37 year old boy going to prison for the rest of his life for getting too angry and too drunk with a gun in his hand; at his ex-wife. Makes you think how fortunate you are.
    I'd whole lot rather be shooting people with cameras and film.
    Yay Tom! Bravo! Seeing the good side of life, good post (even with all the death in it).
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yeah Stone, I use to let Reggie come over and cut sweetgum saplings for his Mom. She's only got a 6 or 7 acre piece over there. You can't run a wood stove for long on a little bitty postage-stamp sized plot like that. He just went and made his Mother's life a whole lot harder. Good thing winter's about over, but the next one is just around the corner, and now she's going to have nothing to burn.
    When you do dumb things, you foul up a whole lot of other people's lives more than you know.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Yeah Stone, I use to let Reggie come over and cut sweetgum saplings for his Mom. She's only got a 6 or 7 acre piece over there. You can't run a wood stove for long on a little bitty postage-stamp sized plot like that. He just went and made his Mother's life a whole lot harder. Good thing winter's about over, but the next one is just around the corner, and now she's going to have nothing to burn.
    When you do dumb things, you foul up a whole lot of other people's lives more than you know.
    7 acres is small?

Wow... We live in different worlds... Around where I live, each acre = upwards of $1,000,000 so 7 acres plus a house is like $8,000,000 properly...

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't know what land is around here since the crash. Maybe 1200 an acre for 20 acres or more maybe. Remember--we're po folk out here in the country. You can go just down the road a couple miles across the state line to SC and probably get it cheaper, if you don't mind living in South Carolina (). I'm a printer--living in a 100 million dollar neighborhood in Connecticut is WAY beyond my means. Wouldn't want to go there anyway--I'd freeze.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    People want the colors of the 1950s and 1960s, the fashion of the 1920s, the nightlife of right now, combined with social ideals that, although they should've been reality decades ago, are still a ways off.

It's all bullshit.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I don't know what land is around here since the crash. Maybe 1200 an acre for 20 acres or more maybe. Remember--we're po folk out here in the country. You can go just down the road a couple miles across the state line to SC and probably get it cheaper, if you don't mind living in South Carolina (). I'm a printer--living in a 100 million dollar neighborhood in Connecticut is WAY beyond my means. Wouldn't want to go there anyway--I'd freeze.
    Mine is my parents, less than half an acre... No millions for me. I once owned a $300,000 house in the poor neighborhood, it's "cheap" there, after the crash the house was worth $125,000 and my mortgage was still $300,000... That was fun...

It's the kind of neighborhood that you look at a guy the wrong way and he shoots you just because he didn't like your eyes... Inner city...

So yea, different world lol

Would prefer Vermont and Colorado...

Shooter
    Large Format
    That's the way Charlotte was--I got out. Now I live in a cabin so far back in the woods, no self-respecting goblin would come up on a place like this after dark. Lived the first 35 years of my life in Charlotte. Now I have to ride through there to deliver my jobs and say to myself: "how can these people live like this? They just don't know any better". Then I put the whole berg in the rear-view mirror and head for home. Not everybody can make the change from city to country. A lot of people try it and end up going back. Not me, not ever.
    Sorry to have hogged your post, OP. I'm sure your son is a good kid. Though I can't understand the pale skin, black clothes, pierce and tattoo fad myself. I think a couple years with a tiller and an ax will straighten that out for most of them.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin