Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,163   Online: 812

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: My Gothic Son

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't think it needs to be "straightened out". Leave the kid alone and let him be what he wants to be. If he doesn't like it five years from now (highly likely) he'll change. And like most people who change between 15 and 21, by the time he's 25 he'll probably regret some of the choices he made vis-a-vis body modification, or even just fashion statements that are now commemorated forevermore in dad's photos. But the surest route to destroying a relationship between a parent and child is to try and force "your" way on them (and that goes both directions, not just parents trying to make kids be what they want them to be instead of what the kid wants to be). I'm not saying never say NO to the kid, but don't drop ultimatums on them. Do that when it doesn't count, and when it does, they'll choose the option you don't want them to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I don't think it needs to be "straightened out". Leave the kid alone and let him be what he wants to be. If he doesn't like it five years from now (highly likely) he'll change. And like most people who change between 15 and 21, by the time he's 25 he'll probably regret some of the choices he made vis-a-vis body modification, or even just fashion statements that are now commemorated forevermore in dad's photos. But the surest route to destroying a relationship between a parent and child is to try and force "your" way on them (and that goes both directions, not just parents trying to make kids be what they want them to be instead of what the kid wants to be). I'm not saying never say NO to the kid, but don't drop ultimatums on them. Do that when it doesn't count, and when it does, they'll choose the option you don't want them to.
    Finally someone who gets it. It amazes me that the childless experts come out of the woodwork to give strong advice about things that they do not know about and truly haven't a clue about so many things in the world.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Finally someone who gets it. It amazes me that the childless experts come out of the woodwork to give strong advice about things that they do not know about and truly haven't a clue about so many things in the world.
    +1
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Guess I had that one coming.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Yea, emo would at least potentially explain the nirvana shirt... Though of he were emo he might get really defensive about not being emo when you called him emo... (Emo= emotional)
    Oh I thought you were talking about fans of Emo Philips. That's MY style.

Welcome norm123, looking forward to more photos and stories.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Oh I thought you were talking about fans of Emo Philips. That's MY style.

Welcome norm123, looking forward to more photos and stories.
    Heh, ummm... I don't know who that is...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Ummm. I don't see any posts where anybody said there was anything wrong with the boy. The conversation morphed into complaints about lots of other people and places, but where did anybody complain about him?
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I'm still really impressed this was HP5+ I love the film and it's now one of my 2 main films but the OP's printing skills sure are great for sure.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Ummm. I don't see any posts where anybody said there was anything wrong with the boy. The conversation morphed into complaints about lots of other people and places, but where did anybody complain about him?
    Tom1956 made a comment about sending kids like him to a farm to plow fields and chop wood for a couple years to straighten them out. I don't know the kid at all - his dad certainly didn't have any complaints, and felt proud enough of him to take his portrait and post it online - sounds like the kid doesn't need any straightening out. He just has a different fashion sense.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just to be clear for the record, the kid is probably a good kid. In fact I have a theory that most of these young people who go around in these weird get-ups, would rather in their hearts go around looking like the kids on the Donna Reed Show or something, if only they didn't feel like they would appear strange. These kids today are under such pressure by the diversity mongers, they feel like they have to look odd just to fit in.
    The last thing I'd ever even think of is wanting insult any of you folks' kids or anything else that is yours. So, to state for the record, if there was any insult coming from me, unintended or not, I apologize. Wasn't mean that way.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin