Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,440   Online: 703

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: My Gothic Son

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    hi scott

the post before tom mentions reggie cutting trees on his property
    he mentions the same kid just killed his girlfriend ...
    maybe its a different kid ?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Just to be clear for the record, the kid is probably a good kid. In fact I have a theory that most of these young people who go around in these weird get-ups, would rather in their hearts go around looking like the kids on the Donna Reed Show or something, if only they didn't feel like they would appear strange. These kids today are under such pressure by the diversity mongers, they feel like they have to look odd just to fit in.
    The last thing I'd ever even think of is wanting insult any of you folks' kids or anything else that is yours. So, to state for the record, if there was any insult coming from me, unintended or not, I apologize. Wasn't mean that way.
    Perhaps you're the one in the weird getup
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Whatever. cya.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just to be clear for the record, the kid is probably a good kid. In fact I have a theory that most of these young people who go around in these weird get-ups, would rather in their hearts go around looking like the kids on the Donna Reed Show or something, if only they didn't feel like they would appear strange. These kids today are under such pressure by the diversity mongers, they feel like they have to look odd just to fit in.
    The last thing I'd ever even think of is wanting insult any of you folks' kids or anything else that is yours. So, to state for the record, if there was any insult coming from me, unintended or not, I apologize. Wasn't mean that way.
    No insult taken - I just disagree with the assessment that they'd want to look like Wally and Beav but they're pressured into looking "weird". They look exactly how they want to look - nobody is holding a gun to their head to say "you've got to wear black eyeliner or else". I went to an all-guys prep school in the 1980s - then, and still today, the school had a dress code that required khakis or other dress slacks, shirt and tie, and a jacket. There were some kids who embraced it, some who tolerated it, and some who did their level best to rebel against it. This was at the height of the punk/new-wave era, when in certain circles guys were encouraged to get mohawks, dye their hair, get multiple earrings, and wear makeup. Needless to say, at an all boys prep school, that kind of stuff was not tolerated by the administration - so folks who did stuff like get wild hairdos or push the limits of the dress code did so of their own free will, and at some personal risk from not just the administration but from the other kids as well. I remember one (white) kid decided he was going to grow dreadlocks. He got away with it for about a month, then when it became obvious, he was sent home with a note requiring him to get a haircut before returning to campus. Back in the day, however, the previous headmaster was known to actually forcibly cut hair that had grown too long (that was in the 1960s and 70s when teachers could get away with that kind of thing).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    First of all, nice picture.
    Second, he looks normal to me, and I was never in his particular sub-culture. I don't see what all the fuss is about your son's appearance. I've always looked like I'm into metol, err... metal. In high school I had a friend that was punk. This thread reminds me a lot of people's comments about us in general, and how they'd question how we could even be friends. We constantly had to explain (back in high school) that friendship has nothing to do with how we looked or the interests we did not share.

During grad school I took a close friend from Japan to the Milan Melon Festival in Ohio. We saw some Goths there, and she'd not seen one in "real life." She was a bit taken aback, so I asked if she wanted to talk to them. Though I often start up conversations with strangers, she was surprised I suggested we do so with Goths. I had to tell her they were normal people, just like us - they merely looked different. She declined, but she did get the message.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I don't think it needs to be "straightened out". Leave the kid alone and let him be what he wants to be. If he doesn't like it five years from now (highly likely) he'll change. And like most people who change between 15 and 21, by the time he's 25 he'll probably regret some of the choices he made vis-a-vis body modification, or even just fashion statements that are now commemorated forevermore in dad's photos. But the surest route to destroying a relationship between a parent and child is to try and force "your" way on them (and that goes both directions, not just parents trying to make kids be what they want them to be instead of what the kid wants to be). I'm not saying never say NO to the kid, but don't drop ultimatums on them. Do that when it doesn't count, and when it does, they'll choose the option you don't want them to.
    I try to not mention my age (or other identifying features) online (mostly for fun), but lets just say I'm over 25. Not only do I not regret my "modifications" or "fashion statements," I still pretty much look the same as I did at his age. No, I did not, and still do not, look superficially "conventional." A big part of this is my parents and grandparents were very accepting of these sorts of things. They were more concerned with character, and they raised me well in this respect. That is not to say they didn't rag on me about it (in a joking manner, not mean or unaccepting). Like when my father and one of my friends in my undergrad walked behind me in a store, enjoying the reactions people had (I had some unnatural colored streaks in my hair at the time, among other things).

Of course, I did have to make concessions when entering the workforce. However, looking at me now, and pictures of me then, I mostly look the same; and am into the same various subcultures. You wouldn't really say much has changed, and would probably agree I still don't "fit-in." I don't feel that way, but I'm obviously biased. As a matter of fact, my best friend looked at old photos, and she noticed how my brother looked different through the years, always being trendy, while I have been relatively static in appearance (though convention now mandates I not be quite so extreme).

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Finally someone who gets it. It amazes me that the childless experts come out of the woodwork to give strong advice about things that they do not know about and truly haven't a clue about so many things in the world.
    I mostly agree with you on this - more-or-less a +1. However, my thoughts on this subject come from my memories of being in these positions, and how my parents and grandparents handled it. I am childless, though I was once a child. (I also once worked in a school for teens with behavioral problems.)

Why would you think they would truly rather look like that? Seriously, why? That argument does not even agree with itself - if someone thought looking like the Donna Reed Show would make them look odd, then by this reasoning looking like anything would also make them look odd, as there are so many different ways to look. Regardless of one's reasons for looking any particular way, regardless of whether those reasons are deemed "good" or "bad," fitting into one group means you may look odd to the other groups. Some times a "get-up" is because they like the aesthetics (as as some prefer traditional grain versus t-grain films). Other times it is part of being in an "affinity group" or sub-culture. There are many other reasons, maybe even a reason similar to your theory - though the brush is not nearly that broad.

I don't know what you look like, but would never assume that deep in your heart you would want to look like me. Nor would I rationalize in my own mind that you looked different from me only for a reason that I would consider "acceptable" in my own mind. As a matter of fact, as long as you don't look like the the epitome of something (in other words, an exact and pretentious embodiment of some stereotype), I'd likely not notice how you looked at all; instead noticing how you thought and who you were as a person. Perhaps this is because of how I was raised, or perhaps it is because I've been on the receiving end of this sort of thinking my entire life.

I was what many considered in a "weird get-up" in my teens and twenties. Many of my friends were too, though different "get-ups." Most of us still are. We never had any desire to be other than what we were, or look other than how we looked. We never felt like we "had" to fit into any group. When we met someone who was into our sub-groups/subcultures, and they asked how they had to act/behave/look/etc. to fit in, we told them there was no true prerequisite other than treating people well and not being an ass.

Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Kids today aren't so different from kids in the past--they're just young in a different time.
    +1
    Last edited by Truzi; 03-16-2014 at 07:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    norm123 - Introduce the lad to Kai, last of the Brunnen-G.... But tell him to stay away from Zev Bellringer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    norm123 - Introduce the lad to Kai, last of the Brunnen-G.... But tell him to stay away from Zev Bellringer
    ROTFLMAO
    Truzi

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by norm123 View Post
    Feedback is welcome
    Great portrait! Spending time with friends/family doing art is fun times! To share that art is to love! /*infinite loop*/ /*recursive*/

Glad to have ya, will have to swing into the gallery to give a look see!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    ^ps:
    "The Science of Older and Wiser"

Wise people are able to accept reality as it is, with equanimity
    Per
    http://nyti.ms/1kjo625

Shooter
    35mm
    Originally Posted by StoneNYC
    Anyway, OP the image is really great, I bet he loves it and it will get him lots of goth girlfriends (and I was once goth, and the girls are... Fun... So watch out!). But yea I never confused Nirvana with being goth...
    I am no emo or punk (though I play and listened to a lot of that stuff. Okay, okay - I wore a lot of band shirts in my teens and still do sometimes, though only classic rock stuff) but those chicks are mystifying to fool around with. Early 90's grunge had it's revival back in high school (2009)!

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    Søren Hammer
    - Konica T3N
    - Konica FS-1
    - Nikon F4s
    - Nikon F5
    - Nikon F801

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin