Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,267   Posts: 1,534,351   Online: 806

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    The highlights in the scan are probably due to the limited dynamic range of the scanner, and that area will have detail in the negative.
    This.

Judging from my own very similar results, what you are seeing there is a function of how the scan was made. Easy fix in Photoshop if you want to bring that down a bit.

You'll have to try a lot harder than this to blow out highlights using Portra 160!

Love the shot, BTW. Love the "Portra-ness" of it. I'm shooting a lot of stuff like this lately, and am totally in love with the results.
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by duparis00 View Post
    Interesting, thanks for the feedback guys. I assumed it was over exposure since I couldn't think of another reason for the skin to render like that. But catlabs brings up an interesting point about the scanner's dmax. I started with digital and even then not long ago, so entering film is like a whole new world I need to understand.
    The skin is rendered with a sheen like that because the girl is human and is perspiring.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the way it is currently framed.
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    I like the way it is currently framed.
    Thanks Dinesh! It's really interesting gather feedback, I have it on another board too and it's similar to this one. About 1 in 6 like it, 1 isn't bothered, and 4 will say she should be on the right side. Really cool insight into peoples tastes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    This.

Judging from my own very similar results, what you are seeing there is a function of how the scan was made. Easy fix in Photoshop if you want to bring that down a bit.

You'll have to try a lot harder than this to blow out highlights using Portra 160!

Love the shot, BTW. Love the "Portra-ness" of it. I'm shooting a lot of stuff like this lately, and am totally in love with the results.
    Very good to know, I definitely need to experiment with scanning more, it really is like an art to itself.

I'm totally in love with portra it scans so well too. I'm literally spending all my extra money to support my film habit lol.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like it. Very nice.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Too me it looks like there was too much contrast added. Portra, especially 160 has very low contrast and under saturated look. I would decrease the contrast and bring down the highlights. It's next to impossible to blow highlights on negative film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Was that lit or natural light?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin