Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,458   Online: 1115

Shooter
    Multi Format

portraits on paper negative

I'm pretty excited about trying to shoot portraits on paper negative material.Closing in on getting correct exposure and lighting and think just need more practice to improve technique.Here's one of my latest attempts:

It prints on photo paper better than this computer reproduction.
    Would appreciate any suggestions you all might have...
    Don

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i used paper negatives for some very specific reasons - a more "pictorial" look, image reversal, or tinting/handcoloring, pinhole, etc. - more a means to an end... so i guess the question is what are you looking to achieve... that would guide my input.

jvo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've wanted to make wetplate pictures for a while.There's something about the"look" that has to do with color sensitivity and contrast with detail that appeals to me. As I'm retired and on a limited budget I opted for paper negatives as a less costly substitute.While learning to use this material for portraits am amazed in the"creamy" transition from dark to light areas and have come to pursue that"look".Meanwhile have acquired and/or built some lighting equipment allowing me to try and emulate lighting and style of early Hollywood portrait photographers.
    Guess that's my goal for now.
    Don

Shooter
    Medium Format

yup...

i know the look you're talking about... that's the "pictorial" effect i'm talking about... yes, it is nice... hmm... you've got me thinking!

jvo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Guess I'm not making it easy for myself as I'm shooting on 4" X 5" paper and enlarging to 8"x 10" or 11"X 14",which is going alright but I'd like the enlargements to be straight prints without burning or dodging.By manipulating the lighting I'm approaching this goal(but not there yet).The paper negative has the" look" and even a "creamy" tonal effect I think.Good luck with what ever you are"thinking" about...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin