Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,267   Posts: 1,680,852   Online: 804

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

portraits on paper negative

I'm pretty excited about trying to shoot portraits on paper negative material.Closing in on getting correct exposure and lighting and think just need more practice to improve technique.Here's one of my latest attempts:

It prints on photo paper better than this computer reproduction.
    Would appreciate any suggestions you all might have...
    Don

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i used paper negatives for some very specific reasons - a more "pictorial" look, image reversal, or tinting/handcoloring, pinhole, etc. - more a means to an end... so i guess the question is what are you looking to achieve... that would guide my input.

jvo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've wanted to make wetplate pictures for a while.There's something about the"look" that has to do with color sensitivity and contrast with detail that appeals to me. As I'm retired and on a limited budget I opted for paper negatives as a less costly substitute.While learning to use this material for portraits am amazed in the"creamy" transition from dark to light areas and have come to pursue that"look".Meanwhile have acquired and/or built some lighting equipment allowing me to try and emulate lighting and style of early Hollywood portrait photographers.
    Guess that's my goal for now.
    Don

Shooter
    Medium Format

yup...

i know the look you're talking about... that's the "pictorial" effect i'm talking about... yes, it is nice... hmm... you've got me thinking!

jvo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Guess I'm not making it easy for myself as I'm shooting on 4" X 5" paper and enlarging to 8"x 10" or 11"X 14",which is going alright but I'd like the enlargements to be straight prints without burning or dodging.By manipulating the lighting I'm approaching this goal(but not there yet).The paper negative has the" look" and even a "creamy" tonal effect I think.Good luck with what ever you are"thinking" about...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    im interested in this- does anyone have an example they could link or post or the type of early portrait you mean?

Shooter
    35mm

Which paper?

I've also started experimenting with paper negatives. Which paper do you use? I have been using Ilford MGIV RC Deluxe, Pearl finish, ASA about 6. Still don't have it "dialed in." Enlarging also to 8x10 using an Omega 45 with a color head, filtration varies. My paper developer is LPD 1:3.

I'm shooting landscapes and some pinhole.

I think your portrait shot is excellent, by the way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blindpig View Post
    Guess I'm not making it easy for myself as I'm shooting on 4" X 5" paper and enlarging to 8"x 10" or 11"X 14"[...]
    Excuse the boldness, but I didn't realise you could enlarge paper negatives!!! I have only ever made contact prints out of them.

I have been experimenting with paper negatives using an ancient 8x10 camera because I thought I couldn't enlarge them.

If I knew it was possible, I'd happily use my 4x5 which is much easier to focus and to work with.

How do you enlarge them?

Personally I have been using Kentmere VC Select RC and I've found that pre flashing the paper helps enormously in taming the contrast.

Without preflashing (also underexposed, which obviously doesn't help)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kat.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	106159

With preflashing

Name:	richard.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	106160

Name:	Jay.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	106161
    Last edited by Claudia Moroni; 03-31-2015 at 03:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Portraits on paper negatives were, and still are, used by street photographers all over Europe. With "street photographers" I mean those who work in small and not so small towns and villages squares, taking souvenir pictures of whoever was willing to pay a small price. The have a camera that has a small lab inside. Once the paper negative is processed on the spot, it is again photographied to get the positive, also processed on the spot.

Some links:

http://www.museoreinasofia.es/colecc...oriente-madrid
    http://caballitodelalonja.blogspot.c...VwjSwtHjqFdWnj
    Alfonso

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin