Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,545,992   Online: 973

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think Australian Marco Bok has a wonderful body of work. Those obsessed with labelling might say it is street photography but to me it is very powerful portraiture. He does not appear to have a strong web presence but a few images at the URL below. This do not represent his best and most gritty work in my opinion, due to the commercial nature of the site, but a bit of a taste nonetheless.
    http://www.artloversinvestments.com/...averspage.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My inspiration is fluid, and frequently changes. So, I recently got a Dorothea Lange book, and was quite taken by this...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lange.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know Marco & he is an excellent photographer. He was included in the Sydney Now exhibition so his photos will be in the book, which I haven't seen yet. He's been working for a couple of years documenting the alternative kids who hang out around the Town Hall steps & Hyde Park. He could definitely do with more of a web presence. He did have a site that wasn't updated for years & now seems to have vanished.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ray,

Ezra Pound by Hoppe

Benny Mussolini

I say Sander's work was more typology than portraiture. Typology is more documentary. He was trying to document a society at a particular time rather than to tell us about an individual or group. A "portrait" of a society, some might say, but I would say it's closer to a "study" of all the types that made up that society. In doing this at first, he inadvertently made a social statement that he soon realized would get him in big trouble. Later he realized that his documentary project ran deeper than the straight documentation he had originally set out to do. It was a big deal at that time to show people from all classes of society in the same manner, on the same level, without placing one over or under the other, without ignoring certain classes, and to do it as objectively as possible. Soldiers, farmers, homosexuals, factory workers, tradespeople, gypsies, homeless people, you name it, presented alongside the higher-class folks. Just cuz the subject is a person doesn't necessarily mean it is portraiture, IMO. The work is genius, but I don't hold it as inspiration for "portraiture". Definitely for other things, though.

To insert an image, you can type in the HTML, I believe. There is also a "mountain" icon above the text cell. You click it and then are prompted to paste the location of the pic...but copy the address of the pic first, because once that pop-up window comes up, you can't do anything else.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-22-2008 at 11:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    August Sander DEFINITELY inspires me. I think his work is portraiture to the core. In looking at his work I don't feel like he was just recording faces. In most of his images I feel he has established a personal relationship with the subject which extends, through the photograph, to me.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Last edited by John Bragg; 05-22-2008 at 12:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Think it's O.K. to have more than one go!

Lee Miller

self-portrait

her site

below- (look better on the website) Nusch Eluard; Henry Moore in London Underground; Collette; Dylan Thomas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NuschEluard.jpg   L_M_HenryMoore.jpg   L_M_Collette.jpg   L_M_DylanThomas.jpg  
    Last edited by catem; 05-22-2008 at 03:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Suzanne that is a wonderful portrait by Dorothea Lange. I've admired her work for some time. I have so many books it's very difficult to give just on or two images to as examples. I'll have to come back to this when I have some free time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bragg View Post
    neat stuff, john
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin