Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,984   Online: 686

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    85mm Jupiter-9 M42

A lovely, lovely lens.
    got one of those for my r/f. I get a big glare centre spot when using it outdoors, otherwise a very good portrait lens. any tips how to avoid the glare other than with a monster lens hood?
    Cheers
    Noons (Nuno Souto)
    Gallery here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Favorite recipe is to start with a sound concept. If you have that, all else falls into place nicely.

Technically speaking, I like a 250mm lens on 645 or 6x6, 135 on small format, or 360 on 4x5 for a tight shot. If doing a tight head shot on 8x10, I would really want an 800mm lens. A fast film is usually my film of choice, but if shooting small format, I will try to go as slow as the light will allow. I have used down to ISO 16 (Pan F), but usually I will use FP4.

For a not-so-tight shot, or a slightly environmental portrait, I like a 50mm to 85mm on small format, 150mm, 180mm, or 210mm on 4x5, 100mm to 150mm on medium format.

For an environmental portrait, anything from 90mm to 127mm on large format, 20-35mm on small format, and 45-65mm on medium format.

In short, pretty much every common lens imaginable. In the end, a successful portrait really comes down to what the picture is about, not the literal picture.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-11-2008 at 09:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very interesting how you use different lenses for different environments. Food for thought for sure.

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Favorite recipe is to start with a sound concept. If you have that, all else falls into place nicely.

Technically speaking, I like a 250mm lens on 645 or 6x6, 135 on small format, or 360 on 4x5 for a tight shot. If doing a tight head shot on 8x10, I would really want an 800mm lens. A fast film is usually my film of choice, but if shooting small format, I will try to go as slow as the light will allow. I have used down to ISO 16 (Pan F), but usually I will use FP4.

For a not-so-tight shot, or a slightly environmental portrait, I like a 50mm to 85mm on small format, 150mm, 180mm, or 210mm on 4x5, 100mm to 150mm on medium format.

For an environmental portrait, anything from 90mm to 127mm on large format, 20-35mm on small format, and 45-65mm on medium format.

In short, pretty much every common lens imaginable. In the end, a successful portrait really comes down to what the picture is about, not the literal picture.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by nsouto View Post
    got one of those for my r/f. I get a big glare centre spot when using it outdoors, otherwise a very good portrait lens. any tips how to avoid the glare other than with a monster lens hood?
    Bad sample, maybe? I haven't experienced what you're talking about on my M42 version, so I can't think of anything off-hand...
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mamiya RZ67 Pro II with 110mm and 180mm lenses with UV filters. Ilford HP5 Plus exposed at box speed and developed in D-76/ID11 diluted 1+1 for 13 minutes at 20C. The negatives enlarge easily with a full tonal range onto normal paper grades, usually Multigrade IV or Kentona.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin