Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,337   Posts: 1,537,588   Online: 1141

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If you are going to use a Halogen light then you have lots of options. Putting one on a stand outside the window would look pretty harsh and contrasty if it is raw. There is a lot of ambient light mixed in when the sun is shining in the window. The halogen light might look more like moon light.

But if you have a curtain or light translucent cloth or material over the window it will of course soften quite a bit. If you can bring the halogen light in the room you could bounce it off a (hopefully light colored) wall and get very nice broad light quality... sort of like a huge soft box. You will lose a lot of brightness in doing that but it will be brighter than the existing light fixtures. You will still need a tripod... and cable release.

Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Dennis. I'm kinda just thinking out loud right now. I really don't want to get fancy with light. I'm basically looking for a subdued look with deep, but not harsh shadows. There are lots of examples here on APUG of this kind of look. For me, it's a learning experience, for my friend, it's a personal goal. We kind of agreed to help each other out on this. (I'm liking the challenge)

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have had some nice and surprising affects with using, not only white foam core for fill, but also a white foam core covered with aluminum foil. You can move the foil around and find a particularly pleasing affect; it adds a certain crispness to the catchlights in the eyes. It's cheap but it can be overdone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had occasion lately to come up with some good, inexpensive reflectors that store compactly. I was browsing the art stores for foamcore and came across something better for my "temporary studio" needs. In the US we call them something like "project display boards" and they come in corrugated cardboard and lately in foamcore. They are a good size for lighting reflectors, and two side flaps fold inward to cut storage size in half, 24 x 36 inches folded, and 48 x 36 inches opened flat. Here's one sample: http://cdn.dickblick.com/items/131/3...group3ww-l.jpg They are readily available at any store that has school or business supplies and relatively inexpensive.

As you can see, they come in other colors and can be self-supporting. I've taken to making a tape hinge between two of the center parts, then velcro-ing the side panels together to make them double height, but still self-supporting with the side panels only partly open for larger subjects. This will still fold down to 24 x 36 inches, four plys thick.

I've also been able to find foam core in 2x3 ft panels that are covered on both sides with aluminum foil that's got a rather rough surface for a diffuse reflection.

Lee
    Last edited by Lee L; 09-06-2008 at 01:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    What a great thread and some really inventive ideas! I feel inspired to go play now with my new (to me) Mamiya and try some natural light portraits. Gotta LOVE this site, and it's participants!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tori8x10 View Post
    What a great thread and some really inventive ideas! I feel inspired to go play now with my new (to me) Mamiya and try some natural light portraits. Gotta LOVE this site, and it's participants!
    I agree. Now if I can only get over my nervousness about having a real person in front of my camera... :rolleyes:

BTW, in discussion with my friend today, the project as it stands looks to be more of an abstract detail study than a full-figure modelling. ie. hands, shoulders, collarbones, feet, legs etc. This sounds interesting, and more in line with work I have done in the past. I am looking forward to attempting some compositions of line, light and shadow. Keep the ideas coming.

Cheers to all,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi,
    I am pretty new here, but why not take a look at CJ Nicolai's work -
    http://www.cheryljacobsphotography.com/
    She is a member here, though seems not to be seen much, but she has to be one of the best at natural light photography..!
    I don't know if she is doing workshops, but hers are so inspiring.
    Cheers
    Steve

Just seen that she has a portfolio here on APUG - well worth 2 minutes of anyones time !
    Last edited by steveinspain; 09-07-2008 at 10:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steveinspain View Post

Just seen that she has a portfolio here on APUG - well worth 2 minutes of anyones time !
    2 minutes??? Not a chance, I've just spent the last 45 minutes looking at all of her images and going back for 2nd and 3rd looks on many of them. Her work is gorgeous; thanks for pointing her out.

I would encourage all that have the time to read through her blog as well. I'll try not to sound too crass but, really, the only way to say this is that she really has her shit together.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Okay, I'm a little ADD this morning, I was looking at her website, NOT the gallery she has here (that might only take a couple of minutes, haven't looked yet).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was slightly tongue in cheek when I said 2 minutes - She is, as those of you who have looked will know, very good at what she does...
    I attended a workshop of hers in England a while back, and learnt more in 2 days that I ever have before..

Glad to hear that you seem to approve !
    Last edited by steveinspain; 09-07-2008 at 04:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin