Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,950   Posts: 1,585,958   Online: 936

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

How to find models?

I have most experience with landscape, nature, wildlife. I want to give a try at some portraiture. Any tips on how a fledgling photographer on a skinny budget can find suitable models? Male or female, any age. I had a look around Models.com. I joined the site with a free account thinking I might be able to contact models somewhat close to me and exchange service for service rather than contract for hire. Figured I'd find someone needing some help with their portfolio. Turns out I have to shell out $$ to join just to send one message. Well, that's out of my picture, I'm on a budget of $0. Tips? Pointers? Resources?
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Often on Craigslist there will be models in need of professional or personal photos who will barter their services for yours. They are, of course, inexperienced models.

I would do some initial practice with people you know while pursuing something like Craigslist.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Start with friends and relatives and build a portfolio of 8 or 10 good shots. Then consider on-line networking. I have had reasonable luck with model mayhem - although the last minute cancellation quotient seems fairly high.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Friends, family, approach people in the street (if you're comfortable with doing this), small advert in the local paper, contact local businesses to see if any of them require head shots of employees for web sites, who's who boards etc., local art clubs etc. sometimes have a register of models and I've found these tend to be less expensive than web based model sites.

A photographer I knew contacted the local hospital and explained that as a project he wanted to take portraits of the staff within their surroundings. He ended up with literally hundreds of pictures ranging from adminstrators, surgeons, porters, cleaners, voluntary staff etc. The hospital ended up buying many of the pictures for their walls and they were showcased in some magazines.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you tried an adult education photography class. Many of the students used to model for each other in a few classes that I took.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had about a 40% show-up percentage with Model Mayhem...and so far (I placed an ad) close to 70% luck on Craigslist.

I usually TFP and offer gas money. Sometimes I offer a flat rate of $50.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try Netmodel.com I've used the site for around 4 years now with 100% show-up rate. Like all sites there are good & bad models but in general I've been very lucky. I know that some of the models Kim Weston has worked with are on the site as I worked a few times with one of them.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I would do some initial practice with people you know while pursuing something like Craigslist.
    Looks like your advice is good advice because I've gone and joined all these modeling sites today, and each one of them requires that I have a portfolio before I get an opportunity to use their website :rolleyes: so.... its the chicken or the egg theory. Looks like I'll be photographing some nephews and neices.... first!
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin