Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,934   Posts: 1,557,036   Online: 1245

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    Nic's smile is all the fill light anybody needs.
    Indeed!!

I'd venture to suggest Arnold Newman as a great natural light portraitist. (Apologies if he's been mentioned.) The stories of assistants lugging around lighting gear that was never used are legendary!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    Nic's smile is all the fill light anybody needs.
    Hi Donald, I missed this... Thank you!!! I hope you're happy and keeping well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My favourite portrait light is north light coming through a window,and a big reflector to fill the shadows.
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Don't forget Imogen Cunningham. "Edward Weston and Marguerite" by her is my current favorite portrait.

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/90709823/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    C heck out Irving Penn's "Worlds in a Small Room." North light studio, mostly a tent he designed for the purpose. Rollei TLR, Tri-X.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wow, this whole thread and not one mention of Avedon? All of his American West portraits are available light, open shade photography, with the exception of a couple coal miner portraits that look like he added a beauty dish to open up their coal-black faces.

Check out Laura Wilson's book on working with Avedon for this project.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wclark5179 View Post
    I knew Monte quite well and though he would use reflectors as well as devices to subtract light he, in fact, made many portraits with natural light. Matter of fact he would look for natural controlled light.
    I had a chance to sit down with Monte at Imaging USA shortly before he died. He looked at my portfolio and was not very complimentary!! That was the same year one of my dog portraits went into the PPA Loan Collection and another image was merited! Everyone has their tastes.

He seemed like a swell guy, and his impact on portraiture was obviously huge. I try to use classical structures in my work, though it appears much more spontaneous. The trend now of DSLR, on location, available light portraiture is breeding thousands of people who just don't know shiite about portrait photography.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin