Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,882   Online: 1016

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Muscle Mag photographers?

My father has some vintage body-building magazines.
    Also some old B&W prints signed by the body builders.

I was curious, does anyone know about the photographers involved in bodybuilding? Were there any mainstream photographers that dealt with the subject? Were there any notable photographers who specialized in the sport?

Thanks in advance!
    Darin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Allan B Stone
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bruce of L.A. (Bruce Bellas) is a very popular muscle photographer from America who shot during the 50's and 60's. I have a collection of his original work. There were other photographers who also followed the sport but he is my favorite. here is a link to a site which sells some of his images.

the largest collection of originals of his work that i know of outside his estate is kept at the Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections Cornell University Library in America. he is revered as one of the most important photographers in the history of American male Physiques.

here is a link to his website.

http://www.bigkugels.com/content/Bruce.html
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Annie Leibovitz shot Arnold Schwarzenegger (and yes, that was in his Muscle times, before Terminator and Governor)
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Back in the mid to late '80s I shot quite a few body builders. I was rehabing from an accident, and went to the local gym to do some strength training, and met some. It worked out great for me, as I was short on cash from my accident, and for them, as it gave them reasonably priced photos of themselves(vain lot) for promotions. BTW, its a great way to gain experience in portrait work, as well as studying the human form(awsome women!). I would recomend you go to a gym and meet some , and offer your services.
    Rick

Shooter
    35mm RF
    In the last 20 or 30 years (if I remember correctly), Robert Kennedy and Bill Dobbins were well known for their photography work in this field. The latter possibly more for his work with female bodybuilders / fitness models.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aperture issue #187 had an article on vintage body-builder photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    My father has some vintage body-building magazines.
    Also some old B&W prints signed by the body builders.

I was curious, does anyone know about the photographers involved in bodybuilding? Were there any mainstream photographers that dealt with the subject? Were there any notable photographers who specialized in the sport?

Thanks in advance!
    Darin
    http://www.terryphoto.com/

"Rip Colt" ! (Jim French)

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a lot of my grandfather's negatives of the 1952 Mr Universe competition, and also quite a few of Monohar Aich in various poses (he was the winner in 1952)

Regards
    Kelvin Jouhar
    Kelvin Jouhar
    -------------
    "The art of looking at pictures can only be properly acquired by constantly looking at pictures"

My grandfather Dr S.D.Jouhar FRPS FPSA said this in 1946....See www.sdjouhar.com for a retrospective of his work.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin