Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,769   Posts: 1,484,208   Online: 840

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Your portaits look great, I recently aquired a 4x5 and wondered how to use it for portraits, your pictures will give me some inspiration.
    Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by andrew green View Post
    all shot with a sinar f 4x5 camera on portra 160nc with a 150mm lens.

i've probably only shot 20 photos with this camera, but its really growing on me. what are your thoughts?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    oh, thanks a lot! its a lot different than shooting a snapshot or even spending some time exposing a photo. you put so much effort into it,however, that you're going to most likely come out with the photo you had in mind. just take your time!
    i am at war with the obvious

-Bill Eggleston

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Terrific. It's the last one of the set that really gets me, but they're all compelling pictures. I find this sort of "slightly environmental" portraiture really hard to do well, but when it works, it captures something about the subject that's very individual and communicates it really strongly.

I've got a 16-month-old, so I take a lot of "family snapshot" pictures. Far too many of them end up at one extreme or another: "here's a gigantic setting with the boy occupying three grains in the middle of it" or "here's yet another photo of his face with nothing to give it any context". (I'm leaving aside the group that fall into "here's a really terrible picture that I'll keep anyway because it's of him".) The winners are the ones in the middle: "here he is in his natural habitat", as it were.

As mostly a non-portrait shooter (as I once told someone, I don't even really *believe* in other people, so how can I expect my camera to?), I find this hugely challenging. You seem to be hitting the sweet spot pretty well---if I ever shot a set of ~20 photos of which those were the four best, I'd be pretty darned happy with myself for it!

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin