Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,318   Posts: 1,536,767   Online: 1092

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maternity shots

Shooter
    Holga
    Images

Maternity shots

I've done my general Google search and forum search, but can't come up with anything decent. Does anyone have any instructions/suggestions for maternity photos at home. I tried some shots with directional lighting, but other than that I'm lost.
    -Chris

"I'd Really Rather You Didn't Use My Existence As A Means To Oppress, Subjugate, Punish, Eviscerate, And/Or, You Know, Be Mean To Others. I Don't Require Sacrifices, And Purity Is For Drinking Water, Not People."
    FSM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If by "maternity" you mean pregnancy,
    and not afterward, I have several rules
    to avoid unpardonable cliché:

1. No touching the belly.

2. No gazes down at the belly.

3. No gazes off into the future.

4. No soft focus.

I just shot my wife through her pregnancy
    and you can find the gallery here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sanders...7619413429032/

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    I'll take a look once I leave work. I can manage most websites here, but it seems to hate flickr.com/signup

I just looked at your gallery for some reference. Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by Fireguy2002; 11-02-2009 at 03:35 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Sometimes you just gotta
    -Chris

"I'd Really Rather You Didn't Use My Existence As A Means To Oppress, Subjugate, Punish, Eviscerate, And/Or, You Know, Be Mean To Others. I Don't Require Sacrifices, And Purity Is For Drinking Water, Not People."
    FSM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Great stuff Sanders!
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although this breaks a number of Sander's rules, I've always liked the following picture Nicole made...

http://www.nicoleboenigmcgrade.com/p...&btn=portrait1

I'm not sure the approach needs to be any different than any other portrait. (I just realized the link goes to a page of thumbnails, the one I'm referring to is in the third row down. all the way to the right.)

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    I like that one as well. It may not need to be any different than any other portrait, but I have a ways to go before I can consider my stuff with the general population. Plus it's about -10 outside so I need all the ideas I can get to shoot inside. I guess you wouldn't notice the blue lips in b&w.
    -Chris

FSM

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolleiflexible View Post
    If by "maternity" you mean pregnancy,
    and not afterward, I have several rules
    to avoid unpardonable cliche....
    That about covers it, Sanders. Thanks for taking the pressure off my otherwise un-silenceable inner curmudgeon.

Yours are the first maternity images I didn't loathe. They were beautiful.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    done a few...
    slightly different than most; I think...

http://www.emilschildt.com/GRAVID.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I generally agree---like any other portrait, you try either to avoid the cliches or to subvert them from within.

This won't work for everyone, but I can't resist tooting my own horn about the one photo from my wife's pregnancy that I really like: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ntenny/...7605957020849/

I think there's a lot of potential in IR film for maternity shots and parent/baby portraits, but obviously it's something of a special effect to be used with care.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    All the old timers have showed up to work now. I'll have to wait to look until I get home to see "those nasty pictures"

People crack me up.
    -Chris

FSM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin