Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,160   Online: 737

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Faking rain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by williamtheis View Post
    Hollywood uses milk (yes, milk) in the movies to make rain visible!
    Bill, haven't heard of that one and I've done my share of rain work. Plain old water is always back-lit to make it visible.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why would they do that?

What a waste of milk and of money, and what a stinky, sticky mess!

If the goal was to make water reflect more light, why would they not just add something harmless and cheap to water?

I think you are wrong...but I don't know for sure. It would not be the first time Hollywood did something idiotic.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As to the print, if you were going to do this, how would you do it?

You certainly would not scratch your negative if you wanted streaks of light rain!

If I had any sense (which I may or may not), I would not alter the picture on the negative at all. I would make an underlay of some sort for the neg. Black lines on a piece of glass or film would do it.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    wildbill is correct. I'm in the Fx business. That's exactly how you do it. And it takes less wind that you would expect to get the rain to go sideways. A large fan from Home Depot and a black background would do the trick. Then all you need to key it, is Photoshop.
    Steven

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first thought when I saw the photo was strings stretched across the set. Could also explain the "wind driven" effect. Both upturned corners of the kimono are quite close to a rain streak. Like I said, just a thought.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    We didn't use milk when shooting the final battle scenes of the matrix. We made it rain with water heaps and heaps of water.[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7li9SG7zebU&feature=fvw[/YOUTUBE]
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whether or not anyone here would scratch their negatives you're discussing a photo that's 100 years old nad it wasn't uncommon for the photographer to do that.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin